Place Dishes Directly Into Soapy Water While Cooking

Here is a quick tip. This is something my mother taught me. I always keep a sink of soapy, hot water ready whenever I am cooking. I am constantly cleaning while I am cooking. By the time I am ready to serve dinner, I only have a few dishes to clean. This also helps with spills and splatters.

Source: My mother

By jetruth from Waterloo, IA

I do the very same thing and have been doing it so long it is just an automatic thing with me. Glad to know someone else does it too.

I've been doing that forever, too. My grandparents ran a restaurant back in Depression times and impressed that "clean-up-as-you-go" mentality on all of us. Another perk to this method is that you actually use less time, energy ( and water and detergent!) by letting the soapy hot water do the work while you finish cooking.

You waste more time and running water cleaning up dishes that have been allowed to sit and harden than those that are practically self-cleaned doing them this way.

Great, old -fashioned ( but still very relevant)common-sense tip!

I've heard that using the dishwasher uses less water than washing dishes by hand.

I do the same, have done it all my grown up life, I think it saves on all the above, water, soap, good luck.

I've recently started doing this, at the ripe old age of 45+, lol! Hubby's son used to manage a restaurant. Now I understand why my mom always did this, it means I don't spend all my evenings slaving over a sinkful of dishes. Although the water cools during the meal, the soap and small amount (maybe half a teaspoon) of bleach in the water suffices to get everything clean.

My husband taught me the wisdom of this after being taught it by his mother. Makes cleaning the kitchen a breeze!

Clean as you go is my motto in the kitchen! Just remember when soaking those dishes, NOT to place a hot piece of glassware into water that has cooled - I once lost the top of a favorite piece of covered dishware that way! I still keep the bottom of the dish to remind myself not to do that again!

Looks like many of us learned this housekeeping tip from our mothers! And our mothers very likely learned it from their mothers! I always enjoy being reminded of the wisdom passed on through generations.

June 15, 2009 Flag

When I begin cooking or baking, I first fill one side of sink with hot water and dish soap. As I use a utensil or container, I put them in. When project is complete, they should be soaked and all I have to do is rinse them.

By Ruth from Harlingen, TX

Answers:

I think that is brilliant! I am redoing my kitchen as I type (HELP ME!) and had my dishwasher removed today. I am using a smaller kitchen I have in the back of the house until my kitchen is complete, no dishwasher! I will load up my sink with hot soapy water the very next meal I prepare. Thanks for sharing!(05/11/2007)

By Mitzi

I do this all the time. It is very helpful.(05/31/2007)

By missymagoo

I keep fresh dish soap/water in one of my sinks, PLUS 1/4th cup of bleach, for such as you describe, until my 3:00pm radio program. Then all is ready to load in the dishwasher and sanitized ahead of the old washer, once the previous day's load is put away.

This has been my practice for many years now. It really works and keeps me from dreading the dish
work. It also keeps the kitchen air smelling fresher after cooking, the small amount of bleach added supposedly killing cooking odors? Then, if the water doesn't appear to be too dirty or greasy, I pour it into a quart bottle, add a little Lestoil and use it to mop the floors, re-heating in the microwave. When the coming water crisis hits soon, I will carry the dishpan water out to the roses and apple tree.

I also add 1/3 cup of bleach to my rain barrel to keep water sweet and fresh, discouraging mosquitoes from entering ( an mold/algae from growing) while I dip into it to water the garden, and to keep it fresher for storing in gallon and 1/2 gallon containers in the SECOND barrel with a lid on all and the barrels. This seems to be a blessing for us, and could even be used for bathing in an emergency in the clean kiddy pool that I keep leaning against the patio wall, and for washing clothes along with the water stored in our old laundry bottles of detergent residue. I try to stay prepared because I've been caught unaware a few times in the past, unable to pay bills on time, or when electricity went out, or water got turned off to do repairs.

(06/15/2007)

By Lynda

CommentWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes
Food and Recipes Food Tips Helpful HintsJune 16, 2009
Rain Drops on Leaf
Rain Garden Basics
Water Softener
Buying a Water Softener
Sowing seeds directly.
Direct Sowing Seeds
ground coffee
Using Coffee Grounds in the Garden
🎉
🎄