Keep Track of Rebates (Printable)

Why do companies offer large rebates on both high and low ticket items? As many as 40% of all rebates are never redeemed by the consumer. The redemption rate is even less during the holiday season. Redeem rebates quickly after buying a product to help insure that you won't forget to mail the rebate or won't be able to since you've lost the receipt. If you are buying gifts make sure that you can get the rebate and still give the gift to the recipient without destroying the box.

By ThriftyFun

Here's a printable rebate checklist that can be helpful in tracking your rebates. It's in PDF format.

Keeping Track of Rebates

Download: Rebate Checklist (PDF)

Also, make sure that you make and keep copies of everything that you send. The filled out form, the barcode, and the dated receipt. And be sure to follow the manufacturers instructions to the letter. Some of them will disqualify you if you don't follow the directions exactly.

And if it is taking too long, contact them and ask.

Harlean from Arkansas

If you buy something that includes a rebate, get everything ready immediately when you bring it home. Otherwise, it's too easy to lose a receipt or forget to mail it on time.

By cynthia conley

Keep a list of all rebates you mail with date, whom sent, address, product and manufacturer's 800#, and amount due. Check it off when received, however, if not received, contact the manufacturer on their 800# or send a post card inquiry.

Manufacturers always want to know if things are not going right with valued customers!

By Syd

Good advice from all the posters about rebates. I am firmly convinced that the companies offering rebates count on the fact that many folks will "intend" to do it, but put it off and lose the instructions, receipts, etc. and then finally think it's just too much trouble to follow thru on. Thus, the rule about filling out the rebate upon arriving home with the merchandise is a winner. Also, that way, if you find you don't have everything you need, or the wrong rebate slip --(yes, this happens!), you can go back and get what you need from the store where you purchased the item.

I make photocopies of all forms, upc, receipts I mail out. Then write the mail date on the front and file away. Each week I check the status and when they come in I pull them out of the file. A little extra work, but I can resubmit them if they get lost.

No kidding about keeping track of rebates. I have found that the companies wait until they have several thousand pieces of mail, because they get a cheaper postage rate. So you could conceivably have a delivery anywhere from a few days to 2+ months depending on the fullness of their outgoing mail bin.

When Kitchenaid didn't send me their rebate, I called and they re-did it. The darn thing took something like almost 4+ months to reach me after the expiration date on the rebate form for a total of some 6 months later. That's why it pays to keep track.

I suspect some rebates are being marked as sent and then ending up in someone else's pocket based on previous experience, because I have been carefully tracking my rebates for years.

Holly

THANK YOU! Great advice.

Carole Ann

Portland, OR

http://www.CaroleAnnLee.com