Keep a Shopping List on Your Computer

I keep a running list on my computer and update it every time I go shopping. It has 5 columns on it: Date

• Item (including brand name)
  • Size
  • Price
  • Store

This helps me in 2 ways. First, it helps me to know how much I have to spend the next time out. Plus it helps me remember what brands to get and where. It also helps me keep track of the rise and fall of prices.

By Cricketnc from Parkton, NC

• Comments

I do too. It sure takes a lot of the work out of being frugal these days and doesn't take much time. I put mine in Excel and have several different sheets in the file. One for prices month to month, one for a shopping list that I use and change each week along with a coupon list, another for supplies I have and that need to be renewed like an ongoing inventory, another for the fall when I buy produce to dry, freeze and roast.

September 8, 2009 Flag

I keep a shopping list in my computer of my regularly purchased groceries, then I just erase the items don't need and print out the rest. This helps me remember items I might otherwise forget. I like to keep this list in my "waiting to send mail" so it's easy to find and access, but anywhere in you computer will work!

By JLS

Keep a Shopping List on Your Computer

Great Idea. I use the Firefox browser and one of the add-ons for it, is the Grocery List Generator. You input your regular grocery items and when they need replenishing, just input how many you need. On shopping day, simply print up the list.

You can also add recipes and the program will determine your grocery list, for you, by what recipes you wish to cook. This add-on, is only one of many that, makes me just Love My Firefox. (05/05/2009)

By quanarose

Keep a Shopping List on Your Computer

The only thing I want to add, is to make your shopping list in the order of the grocery store you use. They don't change too much, unlike the big club stores. (05/06/2009)

By eileen-e

Keep a Shopping List on Your Computer

I keep mine on the computer too. I have it all in columns. One for the item, brand name, size/color, quantity, price, and where I bought it last time. This way I can get a good rough estimate of what my bill will be this time. (05/07/2009)

By Cricketnc

Keep a Shopping List on Your Computer

Since I use an adaptive program, I have to stick with the simplest possible formatting, and can't use Firefox for compatibility reasons.

What works best for me is to add or remove items as I review what we have vs what we need. Most-needed items generally go near the top of the list. Luxury items and other non-necessities get added at the bottom.

I separate my list into sections when we plan to visit more than one store, which is rare. The name of the store is bolded above the items we usually buy there, so hubby doesn't get mixed up, lol!

Simple, but it works for us. (05/07/2009)

By JustPlainJo

Keep a Shopping List on Your Computer

You gals are so high tech. I use a piece of paper stuck on the fridge with a magnet, and a pen beside it that has a magnet on it. Saves on printer ink. (05/19/2009)

By louel53

A woman looking at her shopping list.
    Organizing Your Grocery List
    Better Living Frugal Living ShoppingSeptember 8, 2009
    A Sharpie marker with its lid off.
    Removing Permanent Ink (Sharpie) from a Computer Screen
    Cleaning a Laptop Keyboard, Photo of a laptop keyboard.
    Laptop Computer Tips and Tricks
    A stack of CDs or DVDs
    Saving Money On Computer Software
    Creating a Christmas List
    Creating a Christmas List