Ethiopian Beets and Potatoes

I haven't tried to tackle making Injera bread yet to use as a utensil to eat all the yummy Ethiopian recipes there are out there. I miss Ethiopian food so much because there are no Ethiopian restaurants where I live now and used to eat at my local restaurant a minimum of one time a week in Grand Rapids, Michigan :-( Anyway I'll make one recipe at a time until I have the courage to attempt the Injera and have confidence because this recipe turned out so well.

• 1/2 onion, chopped
  • 1/4 cup fresh lemon juice
  • 3 Tbsp. vegetable oil
  • 1 jalapeno pepper, seeded and minced
  • 1 lb red potatoes
  • 1 lb beets

Directions:

Combine onion, lemon juice, oil and jalapeno in large bowl. Set aside. Cook potatoes and beets in separate large pans of boiling salted water until just tender, about 30 minutes for potatoes and 45 minutes for beets.

Drain. Cool slightly. Peel and cut into 1/2 inch cubes. Add beets and potatoes to lemon mixture and toss to coat. Can be served warm or at room temperature.

By Deeli from Richland, WA

Thanks so much for the recipe! So cool to see that you were commenting about the Ethiopian Restaurants in GR. I live in Grand Rapids and was inspired to make this dish because it was a Monday and both of the Ethiopian restaurants were closed. So thanks so much for the great recipe - it was really good!

Vegetarian Ethiopian Food
Vegetarian Ethiopian Recipes
Food and Recipes Recipes InternationalJanuary 22, 2010
Freezing Potatoes, Potatoes on white background
Freezing Potatoes
Canning Beets, Drying Beets, Growing Beets, Selecting Good Beets, Peeling Beets, Freezing Beets, Fresh Whole and Sliced Beets
Peeling Beets
Canning Beets
Freezing Beets
🎄