WallpaperHome Improvement

Removing Wallpaper In Stairwell

I'm trying to remove the wallpaper from our 3 story townhouse. There is a staircase in the middle of house, with very tall walls. Most of the wallpaper is along the stairwell. How can I get to the tops of the walls to remove the paper? I have a 2 meter tall ladder, but how can I balance it on the stairs?

Michelle from Sydney, AU

While I have never done this, I have the same problem and the only thing I can figure is one needs a ladder that folds in different lengths and positions so that the short end is to the top of the steps and a longer side on a lower step. I'm not suggesting this brand of ladder but I found this site to show you what I mean. Good luck in your project. http://www.gori … 21-aluminum.aspx

Put your ladder on a step against the wall you face as you're coming down the stairs. Next put a 2x6 board (we call a walk board) from the top stair across to the wrung on the ladder that is level with the top stair, We than put a milk crate on that board to stand on to reach the ceiling. If it's really high, you'll need a ladder going sideways against the side walls resting on the walk board. We have a wallpaper hanging buisness and usually, there are two of us for safety reasons when stairwells are involved!

Have you considered renting a scaffolding?

Definitely have someone with you or perhaps hire a handyman to do just that part of the job?