CatsPets

Cat is Rubbing Dirt in Wounds

My cat has ear mites. I have been trying to get rid of them, but this is a bad case of them. When my cat tries to scratch his ears, he is ripping open his neck. Then he runs out and rubs dirt in the wounds. Why is he doing this, and do I need to clean it out now?

By Jeri

Please dont try to self medicate. Take you cat to the vet. He probably has a secondary bacterial infection. Just take the cat to the vet and pay what you can when it is time to check out. This is a painful condition for your cat and it is not loving to let him go through this without medical care.

I am giving him medication for his ears. I clean them out regularly and then give the ear mite meds. I just wanna know y he is rubbing dirt in his wounds i put triple antibiotic on the neck wounds and keep him n side till it heals but hes a cat a i cant watch him every sec wit h an 8 month old baby.

I must agree totally with Robynfederspiel. The poor creature is being driven half crazy with the ear-mites and secondary infection. Think about how you'd be feeling if you had the same condition in your ears. Get him or her to a vet and if you cannot pay for the charges all at once, pay what you can, then pay off the balance as quickly as possible. The vet will remember that that you DO pay your debts and will be more likely to extend the same payment courtesy to you in the future. Run, don't walk. Your little cat needs help as quickly as you can get it.

There are good homemade preventive treatments to be used after the

cat is over this horrible state. Not now though. NOW, you need a vet.

Wishing you and the little cat a happy ending to this story.

Pookarina

Take your cat to the vet immediately! The poor, poor, thing!

He is trying to ease the itching and pain that goes with an open wound. I would try to keep the wound as clean as possible. I know there is ear mite medicine over the counter, but it's not as strong as prescription. The mites may be down in the ear canal where the med doesn't reach which would account for his scratching on the neck.

Please take him to a vet; ear mite bites are very painful.

Hello,

I have worked for a Veterinarian for over 20 years. Please take your baby to the Vet. ASAP. Having ear mites is very painful and can cause underlying infections. Your Vet will take a swab and put it under the microscope to help him determine which medication to dispense to you. He might even give him an injection to get the medication into his system faster.. He might also give you some pain meds. Please go. Good luck.

Oh, by the way there is not an over the counter medication that will rid your cat of eat mites, you must have a prescription.

With no disrespect can not believe what I am reading. The poor animal is in agony and trying to help it's self that is more than the owner is doing for it. The time you have wasted posting "help requests" would have been better spent contactng your Veterinarian and if you can't afford this for the sake of this poor creature give it to some one who can.

To the Vet! To The Vet! To The Vet! Poor thing.