BathroomCleaning

Water Spots on Smooth Tiles

We tiled our shower floor with 2' x 2' smooth cobalt blue tiles. We didn't clean it properly from the beginning and it's dull with water spots (or is it soap, minerals?) I've tried ordinary cleaners, white vinegar and toilet bowl cleaner but nothing works! I would love any suggestions.

Geraldine from Florida

The only thing I've found that really works is Don Aslett's Showers 'n Stuff. It's amazing and really easy to use, works like a charm.

I suggest calling a tile store-- commercial tile-- and tell them your problem. They might be able to help.

good luck

I don't know if you're still in the market for info on this problem, but ....

Use 0000 dry Steel Wool with gentle pressure. This grade of steel wool is very fine and works like a dream for removing hard water stains, soap scum and mineral deposits. Depending upon how old the deposits are, it may take quite a bit of time and moderate elbow grease, but it will work. I've been using 0000 steel wool in this (and other) manner(s) for 30+ years in my domestic services business w/o any problem.

Afterwards, I suggest using a commercial product such as Gel Gloss (hot pink can w/white & blue writing, available @ home improvement & DIY stores) to lay down a good sealing before the next shower use.

In the case of keeping shower tile or glass clean, an ounce of prevention is worth a pound of cure. Keep a squeegee and a dry cloth available for use after every shower. Squeegee the water down the drain, wipe any water residue dry AND Gel Gloss the surface. Repeat the 0000 steel wool scrub @ least, once a month.

It doesn't take long and it's well worth the small amount of time & effort considering that most people spend $$$$$ on bathroom re-dos.