Sewing Buttons on Your Sewing Machine

This is a sewing tip. I have a special foot for my sewing machine for sewing on buttons. I love it because it's such a time saver. Anyway my tip is this: before I sew the button on, I lay a flat toothpick on top of the button and hold it there until I lower my presser foot. I sew over the toothpick so that when I wear the item the button doesn't "pucker" the fabric. It makes the button just loose enough to prevent the puckering.

PS: You may need to hold the toothpick still while sewing the button on.

By Judy from Birmingham, AL

The toothpick is a nice idea! Also, for those who don't have the special foot, what I do is to take the foot right off my machine, then find the zig-zag width that is right for the 2 holes on the button. I simply hold the button/fabric in place, and use my other hand to spin the flywheel (so it doesn't go too fast).

Also, when I am done, I like to pull the threads through to between the fabric and the button, and wind the ends around the other thread, like a wound-shank button, before knotting them. Sure beats sewing buttons on by hand!

Closeup of Sewing Buttons On Clothing
Sewing Buttons On Clothing
Consumer Advice Clothing RepairingJanuary 18, 2009
Handy Stitch Sewing Machine
Using a Handy Stitch Sewing Machine
Vintage Button Cover
Protecting Delicate or Vintage Buttons in the Wash
Making a quilt square on a home sewing machine.
Machine Quilting on a Home Sewing Machine
Sewing on Buttons for Crafts, threading needle with white thread.
Sewing Buttons On Crafts
🎉
🎄