Dog Misbehaves When Left Alone

I have a two year old Shih Tzu that is an angel when I am home. The second I leave, she uses my floor as her bathroom, and destroys everything. I could even take her out right before, but she will "save" enough to show me she's mad. The worst part is that she knows she's done something wrong because she hides when I come home. She also only goes in the same stop, in front of my bedroom door. I really don't want to start with the crate again because she barks so much when I put her in it. I don't know what to do now.

By JulieBz from Chicago

I can assure you that the dog is hiding but not because she knows she did her business in the house. It is because she senses you are angry.

I would have her checked by a veterinarian first and then focus on crate training her. You really don't want to shut a dog up in a room like a bathroom. Try a wire dog crate, where she can see around her. She has seperaton anxiety which will cause her to go to the bathroom. She only relaxes more then likely when you are home. Here are some dog training links that I am sending for you to use...Let me know if I can help you further, write to me anytime.

The first link is about why toy breeds might be more difficult to train...it is very informative:

http://www.dogbreedinfo.com/toybreedswordsout.htm

The second link is a German Shepherd training specialist but the info can be applied to any dog....

http://leerburg.com/qahouse.htm#top

Another site:

http://www.gashihtzu.com/faq.html

I hope this helps~ Let me know if it doesn't and I can help you find something that will or advise you about finding a rescue group. Thanks, Robyn

She may have a mild form of separation anxiety. We had a lot of trouble with our two-year-old American Eskimo. We felt bad leaving her in a crate, so we let her stay out. She peed on the floor, got in the trash, everything. She would hide when we came home because she just knew she was in trouble. We talked to a lady at the local clinic and they told us she had the symptoms of S.A. Even though leaving them crated seems mean, it really helps. They feel safe there, like they know you're going to come back for them. If that makes sense. Trixie is LOADS better now. She doesn't even bark when we put her in the crate, because she knows we aren't just abandoning her.

My little Lucy would poop on the floor only when I left home also. She sometimes would take one slipper and leave it in the middle of the floor of the living room. It wasn't chewed or wet, just left there. I think they do these things to let you know they aren't happy. All I could think of to do was crate her when I left. I tried not to be gone too long but since she stayed in her bed for 8 hours at night I didn't think it was too bad if I had to ask her to stay in a crate with food, water, and a blanket for a few hours. That was the only way I could deal with it.

Here is a website for you to visit

http://www.cesarmillaninc.com/

Cesar Millan is great with dogs and I am sure he has so hints for you. I watch him all the time on National Geographic and he does wonders with dogs. They call him the Dog Whisperer. He will teach you how to become the Pack Leader.

The best thing you can do is take the dog for a 4 hour run (that's what Cesar does) then they are too tired to do mischief. I have a little rescue Yorkie that was eating my tables and the tiles off the floor. I did buy a crate and he is it in when I go to work. I am trying to test him and leave him free when I am out for a few hours. So far it is working. I will wait till he has stopped teething and I will hopefully never have to crate him again. He was born mid August so he's 8 months old now.

Crate train your dog. Put her in her crate when she's gone--no messes, no destroyed items. Your dog is bored and trying to find something to do. Our dogs are always crated when we leave. The crate is also their 'safe' spot they can go to anytime when they feel the need.

Get a second dog. Having company might be the answer. GG Vi

My dog hated the airline crate but does well in a wire crate, a much more open feeling. She goes right to sleep and when I get home at noon to take her out to relief, she acts like I woke her up. Cesar is right, dogs are really made for running half the day, so find out about day boarding and get the discount on multiple days. There may be other dogs with proof of vaccinations that would be great playmates for your dog.

Pets Dogs AdviceApril 14, 2009
cute dog looking guilty
Dog Pees in House When Left Alone
Chest Freezer
Chest Freezer Reviews
Toddler Won't Play Alone
Toddler Won't Play Alone
A woman paddling a canoe alone.
Paddling a Canoe Alone
🎄