Making Shampoo Last By Washing Twice

Years ago my mom told me a way to make shampoo last. This works just as well whether your hair is long or short, thick or thin. Instead of just pouring a glob of shampoo into your hand, pay attention to how much you pour. Only pour about the size of a quarter. Shampoo it in. It won't lather up hardly at all, but do it anyway. Then rinse it out thoroughly.

Now pour the same amount. No more than the size of a quarter, into your hand again and shampoo it in. You'll be amazed at the amount of lather you get this time! And in total you used less than the amount of shampoo than you used otherwise. Your hair is actually cleaner, because the first time got the "top" dirt out, then the second time got it "squeaky" clean!

By Cricketnc from Parkton, NC

This is what salons do. They always wash twice. I save shampoo that way plus I only wash my hair 2 times a week. I do not have dirty hair either. When you wash hair everyday you overstimulate the oil glands in the scalp and it produces more oil.

I, too, only wash my hair twice a week. I am washing tomorrow and will definately try this technique.

Good and very thrifty tip, Cricketnc ;-)

As a retired hairstylist and daughter of two hairstylists I would be remiss in not correcting chickenparents though because washing hair often is not the culprit that causes oily hair :-(

Oily hair is caused by many things including hormones, diet, your local environment, workplace environment, brushing your hair too much and rubbing or scratching of the scalp.

Many people must wash their hair every day but as long as it's not a vigorous scrubbing the sebaceous glands will not be overstimulated and if a person does need a vigorous scrubbing using a moisturizing shampoo or conditioner will keep the glands from thinking they need to produce extra oil. The sebaceous glands (each root has one) produces the oil to protect the hair shaft it's in charge of to protect the hair from dryness.

You're so right, Deeli! I grew up with extremely oily hair and had to wash it every day. Since menopause, it now needs it only twice a week. Oily hair comes from a multitude of causes. Not washing being the least of them.

I'm glad everyone likes my idea tho. It really does save on shampoo and your hair still gets squeaky clean. My granddaughters both have long thick hair and this even works on them.

Shampoo Bottle
Saving Money on Shampoo
Better Living Frugal Living TipsJuly 29, 2009
Pouring Shampoo
Uses for Shampoo
woman wearing nylons
Making Nylons Last Longer
Dry Dog Shampoo Recipes
Dry Dog Shampoo Recipes
Mashed potatoes with bacon and cheese.
Twice Baked Mashed Potato Recipes