Share & Vote
Question
Browse>Contests>Ask>Share>Newsletters>Account>About>

Touching Up Worn Spots on a Leather Sofa

I have a taupe leather love seat. I am looking for a creme consistency dye/tint to blend worn areas and scratches. The furniture manufacturer is no help. Has anyone used shoe dye cream, or another product, for a similar problem?

By Susan from Albany, NY

Thrifty Fun has been around so long that many of our pages have been reset several times. Archives are older versions of the page and the feedback that was provided then.

Archive: Touching Up Worn Spots on Leather Sofa

Our leather couch has lost some of it's very dark brown color in a few spots. Would hair dye work to touch it up?

By kmcb59 from WA

RE: Touching Up Worn Spots on Leather Sofa

I would use shoe polish instead of hair dye. Just make sure you remove any excess with a clean, dry rag. (08/25/2009)

By hauthgirl

My initial thought would be to use dark brown shoe polish as someone else also suggested. There is possibly some sort of leather dye out there too. Are they very small spots? How about a brown permanent marker? Do you know who made your couch? Could you find an email address for the company and ask for a recommendation? Our couch is dark brown as well, like so dark brown it almost looks black. My daughter made a scratch with her toenails and I just took a brown marker to cover up the tiny area where the color was missing. (08/28/2009)

By Debbie52