Can My Puppy Get Parvo from a Stray in My Home?

My children let a stray puppy inside our home, only holding it and not putting it down. I made them take their clothes off and shower right away! I just got an 8 month old Chihuahua and she hasn't been given her shots yet. If that puppy has parvo what are my puppy's chances of getting it?

By Penny from Smiths Station, AL

According to this:

http://vetmedic  -Another-Dog.htm

In other articles I have read, the Parvo virus is potentially everywhere and can survive on surfaces for a few weeks, months, or even up to 2 years, if the conditions are favorable. One place (among others) that a dog can contact Parvo is on the bottom of shoes. The incubation period for Parvo is 3-7 days, so if your dog doesn't come down with it in that period of time, he might be safe this time. I wouldn't hesitate to get his shots asap.

I think you should contact your vet ASAP to get her started on her vaccines. I haven't had a dog for years, but I think they should start receiving their vaccines around 5-6 weeks. The vet can also answer the question you've asked here.

Your dog should certainly have had his shots by now. By the way, what happened to the stray puppy?

She needs to have her vaccines ASAP! She can get sick from not having them, not only from being around another dogs. Where is the puppy?

Absolutely! Parvo is wickedly dangerous for your puppy. Get him to the vet for vaccinations now! Parvo lives in the soil for years, and any unvaccinated dog is at risk for infection. Changing clothes and showering isn't really going to help, it's on everyone's shoes, and all over the house. Get the pets to a vet now!

Pets Dogs HealthNovember 11, 2010
Dealing With Stray Cats
Dealing With Stray Cats
A dog being seen by a veterinarian.
Can a Dog Get Parvo Again?
Puppy With Parvo
Caring for a Puppy With Parvo
Puppy Smelling Flower
Getting a Puppy After Losing One to Parvo
🐰
🍀
© 1997-2017 by Cumuli, Inc. All Rights Reserved. Published by . Page generated on February 22, 2017 at 1:47:09 PM on 10.0.2.252 in 3 seconds. Use of this web site constitutes acceptance of ThriftyFun's Disclaimer and Privacy Policy. If you have any problems or suggestions feel free to Contact Us.