Getting Rid Of Gasoline Smell On Freezer

I have a small freezer that had a gasoline can sitting on it in the garage. I just moved it inside and the gasoline smell is overwhelming. I've washed it with bleach and vinegar and it hasn't made a difference. Anyone have an answer for this?

Karen from Madison, WI

I read somewhere that a mixture of lemon juice and salt worked so the last time I got gas on my hands I tried it and the smell came off, so that may work. Or else get a cleaner that works on petroleum products ( I think 409 and Greased Lightning work). There is also the old standby of a paste made from baking soda and water. Be sure to keep the area well ventilated until the smell is gone as the build up of vapors is dangerous.

Try the old standbys. My husband who fixes appliances always recommends the following for nasty smells in refrig. Try wet newspapers. Separate the papers by sheet wet them down and stick them in the refrig with door closed. Change newspapers every couple of days. Another one, try regular clay cat litter. Take a clay cat litter put in several large bowls and put in refrig. Change every couple of days. And finally activated charcoal. You can find activated charcoal in the pet department at your local stores it is used for fish tanks. Put charcoal in several bowls and put in refrig. changing bowls every couple of days. Better yet try checking out this site. There are tons of fixes for smelly refrigerators on here.

It will require vegetable oil. Coat the surface with the oil, leave it overnight, then wash off the oil and the gasoline will be carried away in the oil. Nothing waterbased will work. God bless,

Put a container of old used coffe grounds in the freezer. I use my old grounds all the time in the refrigerator and it takes out smells better than anything I've ever found.

Good luck.

I have multiple chemical sensitivity....so I know this one well...If the odor is "inside" ....clean the frig well...then seal up with some pieces of charcoal (not with lighter fluid)

For the outside, white vinegar is the best neutraizer.

Here is the process:

1. Neutralize as much of the odor as possible with a big cover of plastic and charcoal sealed in it.. Leave it in for a few days, or longer if needed. A large bowl of white vinegar is good for a whole room if you can close the door.

2. If the item is porous, follow by sealing up the with no odor Kilz primer or shellac...This was necessary for a wood shelf my husband painted with oil based Kilz primer... he had to reapint it with the new no odor formula to get rid of the odor.

Home and Garden Cleaning AppliancesMay 8, 2008
Closeup of a gopher.
Getting Rid of Gophers
Disposing of Old Gasoline, Red gas can.
Disposing of Old Gasoline
Closeup of green bodied house fly.
Getting Rid of Flies
Wooden bookshelf.
Removing Gasoline Smell from Wood Furniture
🎄