Saving Energy By Air Drying Laundry

Hang your wet laundry on a drying rack until it is about half or more than half dry and then finish it in the dryer. The machine will last longer and you will save tons of electricity.

By Randy K. from Toronto, Ont

I just resurrected the outdoor clothes line in an attempt to cut down on the astronomical electric bills we have in S. FL during the summer. The AC has already been tuned up, has clean monthly filters and is set at 78--but the 10-14 dryer loads a week I do just has to be adding to the expense (as well as making the AC work harder due to the radiant heat from the dryer!).

Note a few posters saying that outdoor drying is wreaking havoc on colors and is too stiff; hang your whites and lights right-side out..natural bleaching. For colors, hang them inside-out.

I hang the clothes until almost dry and throw them with a dryer sheet in for only five minutes. Everything feels and smells the same as if they'd been in the dryer the entire time.

Am still waiting for my first full electric bill since "going green" and am anticipating some kind of drop--going from an average of 2240 minutes of dryer time a month to 336 has to be making a difference.

I agree with Puppermom, I dry inside out and completely dry outside, then throw in the dryer on LOW for a few minutes to soften up. I don't use a sheet, I use the liquid, that way the sheet doesn't leave marks on my clothes (seems to do so when I drop in a dry load to soften).

Woman Hanging Clothes Out to Dry
Saving Money On Drying Clothes
Better Living Green Living Conservation EnergyJuly 21, 2009
Dried orange slices, bundle of cinnamon sticks, and cloves.
Drying Oranges
A/C Heater Vent
Ford F150 Air Conditioner Blowing Hot Air
Air Ionizer and Purifier for Allergies
Improving Indoor Air Quality
Crocheted Drying Hanger
Crocheted Drying Hanger