Fly Repellant for Porch Area

I'd like to know if anyone has any suggestions on how to stop common houseflies from hanging around on our back porch. They seem to accumulate there every day. The porch is very clean, no food or animal waste is present to attract them. And please don't suggest one of those unsightly sticky fly ribbons. Thanks

~Harm0ny~

Showing: Answers Sort: Relevance

Hang dried tansy in attractive bunches the way flowers and herbs are hung to dry. Or you can plant tansy and hang the plants in baskets along your porch. This repels flies.

I have had Luck with Avon's Skin so Soft, I pour a bit on a paper towel and rub it on the screen door. It worked on the hubby and kids so I thought it would work on the door and it did! Hope it works for you too

Fill small Ziplock Bags with water and hang them above the entrance to the porch, and perhaps also above the door to the house. I don't really know why this works, but it does. I think I read somewhere it has to do with how the eye of the fly reacts to the reflection from the water...but not sure. Just try it!

Harlean from Arkansas

Grow Basil in a couple of pots, works a treat.

Try rubbing window screens and other outdoor surfaces with a fabric softner sheet. I've heard that the generic brand from Walmart works the best.

Had to second the suggestion from the writer in Arkansas. Just this past weekend I did the baggies all around our back porch and in the garage and by the time I was done hanging them, there were no flies.

I USED THE WATER IN THE BAGS AND HUNG THEM FROM MY PORCH, THERE IS NO FLYS, BUT WHEN THE SUN GOES DOWN AND NO SUN ON THE BAGS, THE FLYS INTEND TO COME BACK, I ALSO USE DAWN DISH WASHING SOAP IN A SPRAY BOTTLE AND THAT ALSO WORKS AS A FLY REPELLANT, WHEN THE DAWN GETS ON THE FLYS WINGS THEY GET HEAVY AND CAN'T FLY ,, THEN THEY DIE,

RENEE, IN NORTH CAROLINA

I have found a site that offer the solution dont know if allowed to post it on here please delete if should not but dont know how to explain otherwise

http://www.whatnopests.com

Hope this helps it cleared my problem immediately

hang a ziplock bag half full of water from each edge of the porch roof and it will repel flies. I dont know why but it does

just wanted to say thanks for the tip about the water in the bags. It really works, im dumbfounded. I figured what could it hurt to try.I hung them and less than ten minutes they were gone. And we had a bunch. Wow!

My cousins have been using the water bags for years. I asked them how it works, and they said that the flies think it's a hornets nest. I asked them which fly told them that. Who knew?

I will definitely try that, but does anyone have any suggestions for flies in the trash cans? We bleach/scrub them every week after the trash pick up and bag all our trash, but they keep coming back. Let's just say it starts with 3 and within 2 days there are about 25 inside a closed lid trash. Yuck!!

you can also fill clear one litre soda bottles and set them in the kitchen window and other areas of concern. they won't look as bad as the zip locks hanging around. i think they work better as well.

I heard eucylyptus trees and branches repel flies. Does any one know if this is true?

Paint you eaves a pale blue. It works dont know why, perhaps blue is a cold colour.Will be trying the water bag trick is our motor home

The best thing I've EVER seen aork is a product called ZERO BUG ZONE. It has no harmfull chemicals and it last for about 4-5 months.

okay if it's one people in this world who know all about flies it's us aussies! I have just tried your trick and I can not believe that within 5 minutes of going out and hanging all the little bags and spraying a bit of fly spray around onto the flies that were hanging around the dogs bowl, I now have ZERO FLIES!

I go to the Outback for my holidays and the flies there are resistant to any chemicals-can't wait to try this trick, have to figure out how to make a hat with water bags instead of corks! Only other miracle remedy I have come across for personal body application is a hand creme to which both pure Lavender oil and Sandalwood Oil have been added (I think that's right). Outback the flies crawl in your eyes, up your nose and there's billions-my mate applies this hand creme and stands next to us fly-free whilst we all have the flies all over us.

Well we have a million flies it seems on the outside of our screened porch, and nothing works. I don't know what to do, so we are trying the bags and will let everyone know if it works.

I was told to add a couple of pennies to the Ziploc baggie of water.

I tried the bags full of water. The flies laughed at this! Nothing works!

Answer

Home and Garden Pest Control FliesSeptember 3, 2004
Screened Porch
Flooring a Screened Porch
Screened Porch
Winterizing a Screened Porch
Fly paper strips hanging by clothes pins.
Making Fly Paper
Downward photo of an area rug in a lobby
Cleaning Area Rugs
© 1997-2016 by Cumuli, Inc. All Rights Reserved. Published by . Page generated on April 25, 2016 at 5:54:51 PM on 10.0.0.196 in 676 msecs. Use of this web site constitutes acceptance of ThriftyFun's Disclaimer and Privacy Policy. If you have any problems or suggestions feel free to Contact Us.