Browsing: Home Remedies for Arthritis Pain

Arthritis Relief - Keeping Joints Flexible By Knitting

Since they took my Vioxx away, I've started to knit to keep my thumbs flexible... lo and behold, it takes away the pain, also! I am very lucky that my hands are the only places that arthritis has affected very much. On the really bad days, I use some aspirin or non aspirin pain meds. too. Most times, though, just a half hour of easy knitting a day keeps the joints of my hands "lubricated" and fairly pain free.

By Margie

Showing: Comments Sort: Relevance

You should try nutrition and vitamin supplementation for rheumatoid arthritis. Much safer than drugs. Advice can be found on the internet.

Dear Margie,

Look in the spice aisle of your grocery store and pick up a container of TURMERIC. It's a deep yellow spice, sprinkle it in your food & stir well; just a dash or two [too much can be a bit overpowering]... This is some of the best stuff I've ever found for aches & pains, with no side effects at all. I tried Vioxx and nearly had a heart attack, and i'm allergic to all the new glucosamie products [due to it being made from shellfish]. Best Regards, Darween

Since you only knit as a warm-up it is probably okay. But if you decide to knit or crochet for longer periods of time, if possible, switch to wooden needles. Heat builds up in plastic and metal needles and gets transfered to your hands. A friend and I switched to wooden & bamboo needles and the hand and wrist pain vanished and we could keep going for longer periods of time.

I too knit and crochet to keep my hands limber and the arthritis pains at bay. No scientific data to back this up but, I started using a lotion with shea butter on my feet at night about once a week and I noticed after a couple of weeks that my hands were not as stiff. Now I use it on my hands nightly and very seldom have pain in my hands.

Home Remedies for Arthritis Pain
Home Remedies for Arthritis Pain
Health & Beauty Home RemediesJanuary 19, 2005
Cooking With Arthritis
Cooking With Arthritis
Old Dog
Treating Arthritis in Dogs
Hand with Credit Cards
Using a Flexible Spending Account
machine knitting a hat
Buying and Using a Knitting Machine
© 1997-2016 by Cumuli, Inc. All Rights Reserved. Published by . Page generated on September 4, 2016 at 12:22:57 PM on 10.0.2.133 in 2 seconds. Use of this web site constitutes acceptance of ThriftyFun's Disclaimer and Privacy Policy. If you have any problems or suggestions feel free to Contact Us.