Stubborn Ingrown Hair

Does anyone know how to get rid of a severly ingrown hair on my husbands back? He has had it for years. It gets infected, we try to pop it and it stinks to high heaven. It goes down for a while and comes back. It does not hurt at all. I am just searching for natural remedies. Thanks so much.

I read your question to my husband and he suggested that it should be treated by a dermatologist.

Marge from NY

It may not be an ingrown hair. There are things called subaceous cysts. They are like giant black heads that collect dirt and grime. Sometimes when you try to relieve them, you can cause it to become infected and it does smell. Your best bet is to see a doctor. I had to have one removed from my neck for the same reasons.

They make a shaving powder that's supposed to get rid of "razor bumps"(ingrown hairs). It comes in a little can and will be on the shaving products aisle. Follow the instructions. Just pull out the ingrown part of the hair. If you pull out the whole hair it will keep coming back.

I have a few suggestions:

1) Have your husband checked by a doctor. This should be your first step no matter what else you do.

2) For some skin infections, hot wet compresses work very well. I had a boil and the doctor recommended lots of hot wet compresses to make it rise to the surface and empty out. It worked rather well. The compresses have to be as hot as he can stand without burning, and you have to keep them putting them on there till it starts to open up, the whole process takes several hours.

3) There is a product named "Prid" that is supposed to help with bumps, pimples, etc. I haven't ordered it, but it's been around for a long time and isn't very expensive. Here's what it looks like at drugstore.com and its also available at a lot of other sites. It may even be available at your local store: http://www.drugstore.com/products/prod.asp?pid=13293&catid=13140

Like I said, I haven't bought it yet, but I am impressed by the reviews that others have written about it.

Tea Tree oil seems to work wonders on lots of things. My kids used it when they were teenagers for breakouts. We would wet a qtip with water (the oil is too strong as is) then dip it into the oil and apply to the skin. There are tons of uses for this product. Put in "Tea Tree Oil" in the search field on the internet to find it's many uses. I bought it at a vitamin/ health food store. You can also get it on line. Can't remember off hand where I got it from on line but I'm thinking drugstore.com. I don't think this will do anything for the hair but would help heal the inflamed area.

I agree with the one post about your husband's problem is not an ingrown hair but a sabacious Cysts. My sister in law had one and they do smell when squeezed. She had hers removed and a sac removed so it didn't come back. See a dermotologist is my suggestion.

Thanks for all you guys advice. All the advice was great! I do think it may run the route of the cyst thing. I did not know of such a thing. Is there a home remedy for that or do you have to see a doc to fix it period? Any more advice will be greatly appreciated. Sherry

D - E - R - M - A - T - O - L - O - G - I - S - T ?

What you've described sounds like a cyst to me. I suggest having it surgically removed. I trip to the dermatologist is in order for him. Sorry. (BTW, this constant infection may be comprimising his immune system and affecting his whole health. The skin is the largest organ in the body.)

It could be ingrown hairs and nothing more. Try exfoliating with a loofa or nylon shower puff. I had ingrown hairs on my arms and legs until I started using a shower puff, and they cleared up! Try the simple solutions first, and if it still doesn't clear up, go the dermatologist route.

Remedies for Ingrown Hairs, Man Plucking Eyebrows
Remedies for Ingrown Hairs
Health & Beauty Home RemediesSeptember 18, 2007
A woman with long hair.
Growing Hair Faster
A foot with an ingrown toenail.
Remedies for Ingrown Toenails
Up close photo of red, wavy hair.
Homemade Hair Dye Recipes
Sink with hair dye stains
Removing Hair Dye from a Bathroom Sink
🎉
🎄