Removing Grommets Without Damaging Curtains

curtain with grommets
When altering curtains you may wish to temporarily remove the grommets. This is a guide about removing grommets without damaging curtains.

I have drapes that have large grommets, I need to remove them so that I can sew them together and then reinstall the grommets without destroying them in the process.

By Cathy from El Cajon, CA

Best Answer

I am not sure it can be done. Why can you not sew them together with the grommets in place? You might not be able to sew quite to the top; but the last bit could be hand-sewn. It should be up high enough that no one would notice the difference. Good luck!

Best Answer

Hi Cathy, Jilson has a good point. I've worked with grommets on T-shirt fabric fashion wear. If the fabric is stretchy, you can "pull" it away from the grommet, but the hole will be slightly larger, and that grommet you removed is NOT reusable. You will have to have new grommets for replacements.

If you are trying to sew 2 drapery panels together, my simple suggestion is to measure the distance between grommets. Once you have that, half the number. Add 1/2 inch. Put the two panels right sides together, then meaure out from the second grommet from the edge and cut. Sew using a 1/2 inch seam allowance and you should be good to go.