Quick Breakfasts for Busy Moms

Patti McKenna

About twelve years ago, I was on a mission to find the easiest and most convenient way to satisfy my children's hungry appetites. At that time, my fourth child was born, and she was only 15 months younger than the next in line. I had a newborn, a toddler, a five year old, and a nine year old.

Looking back, I'm sure I would have given my front tooth for the simplest, most convenient way to feed my family. Sure, we took advantage of frozen and fast food; but that became old very quickly. My husband longed for "real" food, and, frankly, it gets expensive eating burgers and fries with a family of our size. Necessity mandated that I find ways to cheaply and quickly feed an army of six!

First, I tackled breakfast. The first meal of the day was the most frantic, with everyone getting ready for work or school and babies demanding attention. Although boxed cereal was convenient, it was also becoming expensive. As an alternate, I decided to make our own cereal.

Every Sunday, I would make a large batch of the cereal and keep it in a plastic container for use throughout the week. The extra bonus of the cereal is that it doubled as a granola snack if eaten dry (without milk).

I also made and refrigerated enough pancake mix for hot breakfasts throughout the week - sometimes I cooked the pancakes and froze them for quick microwave zapping. I also microwave a bowl of jam, and my kids prefer warm jam on their pancakes over maple syrup. This has been such a success that a decade later my children still prefer our cereal and pancakes to any others! Try the recipes below and see if you agree!

Granola

• 3 cups quick cooking oats
  • 1/4 cup packed brown sugar
  • 1/4 cup wheat germ
  • 1/2 cup flaked coconut
  • 1/4 cup light vegetable oil
  • 1/4 cup honey
  • 1 - 1/2 tsp. vanilla
  • 1/2 cup raisins
  • 1/2 cup chopped nuts

Directions:

Combine oats, brown sugar, wheat germ, and coconut in a large baking dish.

Stir together oil, honey, and vanilla. Pour over oat mixture and mix together.

Microwave for 7 to 8 minutes, stirring every 3 minutes. After cooking, stir in raisins and nuts and store in a tightly covered container. Eat plain or serve with milk as a breakfast cereal.

Homemade Pancake Mix

• 1 egg
  • 1 Tbsp. sugar or brown sugar
  • 1 cup milk
  • 2 Tbsp. light vegetable oil
  • 1 cup flour
  • 1 tsp. baking powder
  • 1/2 tsp. baking soda

Directions:

Preheat griddle. Lightly beat together egg and sugar with a fork. Add remaining ingredients in the order listed, and stir until mixed (batter will be lumpy).

Pour 1/4 batter onto hot griddle for each pancake. Cook until bubbles form on top, turn and cook the other side until lightly brown. If desired, wrap and freeze pancakes for microwaving at a later time.

What wonderful ideas!!! Thanks for sharing!!! :-)

Great tips, I will use your recipes.

Could olive oil be substituted for the vegetable oil?

Food and Recipes Recipes BreakfastApril 24, 2006
tips for new moms
Time Management Tips for New Moms
Little Girl in Cheerleader Costume
Making a Cheerleader Costume
A group of kids with their dad preparing tacos for a quick weeknight dinner.
Quick Meal Ideas for Busy Families
Doing Yoga During Pregnancy, A woman doing yoga during pregnancy.
Doing Yoga During Pregnancy
🎉
🎄