Working vs. Staying at Home

This is really kind of a testimony. When my daughter graduated from high school I decided to go to work to pay college expenses. My daughter was a straight A student but found it difficult to get scholarships at the time locally. I still had a 14 year old son at home but I had never worked and I thought this would be best. My mom told me not to go to work because once you get used to that extra money it is hard to quit.

Well, at almost 40 years old I did not listen to my mother. My daughter graduated in 4 years with honors, and yes she did get small scholarships along the way, but I did get used to the money and acquired debt.

Before, I had time to budget well, cook from scratch and time to catch sales. etc. Then, I started having trouble with my son, he had been a great student up until then. He is grown now and married with a son of his own. He turned out to be a fine young man.

I know this might make a lot of working moms upset but I have been on both sides and it is very difficult to combine working and being a mom. I can only imagine how hard it is for moms with small kids. I am not saying by any means that no one should work.

However, if you want to stay home eventually, be careful how you handle the extra money. Set goals and timetables. Plan what you will do with extra money and stick to it. I had never intended to work this long and I have been there 14 years. I actually had more to show for myself before I worked. I am now working to pay things off so I can retire. Like my Grandma used to say, it is not how much you make but what you do with it.

By MawMaw2four from Fort Worth, TX

I know what you mean. When I worked full time I never had time for everything and never enough money. But when I decided to work part-time things changed. My daughters who were 7 & 8 at the time responded well. I wasnt as stressed and I was home early enough to make dinner and help with homework. Funny thing is that my husband and I were able to save to buy our first house. We never could do that when I worked full-time. The girls are now 15 & 17. We also have two toddler boys ages 3 1/2 and 2. Working part-time gives me the best of both worlds.

When I worked parttime, the days that I did work it was terrible to be around me, my older son was 2 and a half at the time. He got whooping cough in DAYCARE! I vowed never to have that happen again! I take online courses, and started a Shaklee Distributorship so I can make extra money and give the best nutrition and safe healthy home for my family, and share it with others! With two boys, my DH and a dog, it is worth "the sacrifice", though I can't call baking chocolate chip cookies in my PJ's not worthy!

If you are interested in a healthier family and home, please e-mail me at or visit the Shaklee website at; my ID is ZM06763

Do what works for your family and have no regrets. I stayed home before we had children. I had a job I loved but the attitudes at my job were damaging so I quit. I noticed after a couple of weeks of being home my husband and I argued less. Maybe it was the job I had or maybe it was that I am not a good worker.. It could also be that we like having me home. After having our kids I have sometimes worked part time and found that everyone likes me home better. My husband often called me at work..very annoying. I now clean houses part time and can take our kids with me but on the days I don't work home life seems smoother and we all seem less stressed. As long as it works for you, your husband and your kids do whatever it takes. You only get one chance and its only money, decide what you need and what you don't and remember a happy life is a good life.

ParentingApril 28, 2006
Someone dusting the corner of a room with a duster.
Keeping Your House Dusted
Refrigerator is Not Staying Cold
Staying Passionate About Your Cause
Staying Passionate About Your Cause
Working with Dark Colored Yarns
Working with Dark Colored Yarns