Can You Make Ham Loaf Using Canned Ham?

I'd love to make a ham loaf, but I never see ground ham anywhere. I have a meat grinder, could I buy a canned ham and grind it? Would it be too salty? What should I use?

By Deborah Joy from West Deptford, NJ

Answers

Best Answer

Yes you can use canned ham, but it may be more economical to buy a small piece of ham, depending on how much ham loaf you want to make. I usually buy at least a 3 pound or larger piece of ham, make it all up in small individual ham loaves, and freeze them. Here is the recipe I use, and we love it.

1 1/2 lb ground ham

1 lb ground pork

2 cups waverly cracker crumbs (same as butter crackers)

2 eggs, beaten

1 cup milk

1 lemon, juice and peel, grated ( many times I just use Real Lemon juice)

Mix together and shape into small individual loaves.

Glaze; 1 cup brown sugar,

1/2 cup water

1/2 cup vinegar

1 tsp dry mustard.

Heat sauce ingredients to dissolve sugar, pour over ham balls

Bake @325 for 1 1/2 hours. Spoon glaze over balls 2-3 times. ( the recipe says uncovered, but I do cover them when baking.)

I make these balls up, freeze, then wrap in saran wrap and put in one large bag in freezer. Take out as many as you need at a time, then make the glaze and pour over to bake. If I only make a few, I cut the glaze recipe in half.

A canned ham on a white background.
Can You Make Ham Loaf Using Canned Ham?
Food and Recipes Recipes MeatloafNovember 6, 2009
Cooking a Turkey in Your Oven, A turkey in the oven.
Cooking Ham and Turkey in the Same Oven
Recipes Using Leftover Ham, Spiral sliced ham.
Freezing Leftover Ham
Freezing Cooked Ham
Ham Loaf
Ham Loaf Recipes
🐰
🍀
© 1997-2017 by Cumuli, Inc. All Rights Reserved. Published by . Page generated on February 16, 2017 at 7:09:49 AM on 10.0.2.64 in 2 seconds. Use of this web site constitutes acceptance of ThriftyFun's Disclaimer and Privacy Policy. If you have any problems or suggestions feel free to Contact Us.