Shelf Life of Sour Cream

When I buy sour cream it is usually on sale, and I use coupons if I have one. It isn't something I use often, and sometimes I forget it is in the frig. Does anyone know how long it is usable if it is passed the use/sell by date on the carton, and it has "not" been opened? Thank you.

By Rob5in7 from Webster, MA

Smell and taste it. If it's green, it's past the time. I've used it one month past, but if it's been opened more than once, it's usually spoiled. What I do do, is use only a clean spoon to take sour cream out of the container, close it up right away and put it back in the cold part of the fridge...helps prolong the fridge life. Also, I put a list on the front of the fridge of leftovers and spoilable foods...reminds me what's there if I can't see it/them.

Make sure you store it upside down. I have used Sour Cream when its 4 Months old.

What ever you do never, ever eat sour cream that has green mold on it, I remember years ago when I thought I would just scoop the mold off and eat the underneath sour cream, well I got the worse case of food poisoning I ever had. Do not take the chance, it just isn't worth it.

Ditto with if it's started molding throw it out and I also am able to keep about a month past sell by date doing the same thing tennesue does to prolong shelf life.

I try to buy sour cream in a smaller container unless I know for sure I need a larger amount. I have used past the best by date with no harm; however if I've seen mold starting, I pitch.

I think if it looks and smells fine, then it's ok to use; however I think the best thing is to just buy it when you need it and then try to use it up.

In addition to the other suggestions: If it has been opened, be sure to replace the clear covering over it and turn it upside down in the fridge. If afraid of leakage then put it on a saucer or an extra plastic lid a size larger than top of sour cream container (rim upturned). I have never had it go bad using this method.

Thanks for the "upside down" storage tip, never heard of that before! I store opened soda bottles upside down and it keeps its fizz a lot longer since the gas can't escape through the lid in that position.

Check out http://www.stilltasty.com/ for how long food lasts.

Food has its shelf life,some stores remove the expiry date but you will know when sour cream gets rancid.

You can place your baking powder and bicarbonate of soda upside down and the air doesn't escape.

Becareful when placing sour cream or yogurt upside down because when it does get spoilt the foil cover bursts and your fridge will have a terrible odour and mess everything else in the fridge.

Food and Recipes StorageSeptember 22, 2009
Lowfat Sour Cream
Making Lowfat Sour Cream
piece of coffee cake
Sour Cream Coffee Cake Recipes
fresh delicious sour cream
Homemade Sour Cream Recipes
Storing Sugar
Storing Sugar
🎉
🎄