Making Crochet Hooks Easier to Handle

To make crocheting easier for people with arthritis or other joints and muscle aches, slip a large bead over the handle of the smaller crochet hook to grip onto rather than trying to hold the tiny needle. This also might work for ink pens or pencils if you can find macrame beads large enough. If you can't find beads, try rolling paper or foil and securing it.

I might even want to try Playdoh, allowed to dry overnight, to get a larger hold on a smaller item!

That's an excellent idea, a crochet hook is too slender for healthy grasping to keep hands pain-free. I remember in dental hygiene school, we learned to modify toothbrushes for different grasp abilities, with a tennis ball or similar, like acrylic to use the same as your play-dough. No surprise, the toothbrush companies started making fatter handles just about immediately. Good idea!

Veronica, You could also wrap the crochet hook or any handle with a rubberband! Judy

I find the aluminum hooks are very slippery. I remembered that I had some narrow, one-and-a-half-inch-long velcro strips. I cut them to fit the finger indentations on the hooks, the hook piece where your thumb goes, and the "furry" part opposite. This keeps my fingers from constantly slipping. This solution means I can use my pretty gold and other metallic-colored hooks without the frustration of having them constantly slip.

Crocheting
Learning to Crochet
Crafts CrochetJuly 17, 2007
double hooks to hang jackets
Using Over the Door Hooks
A person crocheting a pink baby blanket.
Finding Time to Crochet
various size crochet hooks
Storing Crochet Hooks
Crochet hook resting on striped crocheted blanket
Basic Crochet Abbreviations Chart
🎄