What is this plant? (False Aralia)

What is this houseplant?

Hardiness Zone: 5b

Mary from Long Valley, NJ

Looks like an aralia. Not sure about that spelling.

This looks like an unbrella plant to me just kind of punie. carol

LOL! It looks like Marijuana!!

I am pretty sure it is a false aralia (although I have never seen a true one :) )

We had one given to us years ago by a teacher who couldn't keep in in her classroom because of the aforementioned similarity.

Aralia elegantissima or False Aralia for the common name

Funny story. Many years ago my sister's ( a sheltered widow) son had to go out of state for his job. He asked his mom to care for his plant while he was gone. She did this faithfully - running it outside to the sun and back in when the weather was nasty. Imagine her surprise when someone asked her why she was growing pot! We never allowed her to forget that.

P.S. it looked like your plant.

Yep. False Aralia. We used to have one where I worked. The sherrif came by one day and did a double take.

I think it is called a "False Aralia" Looks like a pot plant but it's not!

Looks like an "aralia plant" a copy cat of what marijuana looks like I am told.

Gosh I thought it was a Sambucca, that is an elderberry plant. My daughter gave me a cutting from a member the the garden club here in Tampa. It looks like the varieties I have seen in the plant catalog. I could be wrong I am not a botanist but I do read lots of plant books and catalogs.

It looks like a type of flowering plant related to the Hawaiian Lei flower. In the winter it will drop all the leaves, and just look like sticks in the ground. When it gets a bit warmer you will notice, tiny leaves, start to grow out of the end of the branches. They smell sweet like the islands where they come from.

This is definitely a "false aralia". We had a huge full one of these on our terrace one year. As it does, look SO much like marijuana, we came home one evening to find that someone had removed ALL the leaves from our beautiful huge plant. I hope whomever it was, didn't get sick from smoking what they thought was such a great find.

This is definitely a "false Aralia". It is not winter hardy in zone 5 or colder.

It looks a lot like it in terms of the leaves but theres no buds therefore even if it were there be no "bud" you could smoke. A marijuana plant will have visible buds on it hence why pot smokers call the product "bud" as they are smoking the buds of the plant. This plant only has leaves. Smoking marijuana leaves would not cause much of a high unless you smoked a huge amount of them.

Home and Garden Gardening House PlantsJanuary 29, 2008
A woman with fake eyelashes.
Wearing False Eyelashes
Europe on a globe.
Plant Hardiness Zones for France
A woman in pain wearing dentures.
Remedies for Pain from Wearing Dentures
New Dentures
Wearing New Dentures
🎄