Cleaning a Prom Dress

How can you clean prom dresses without having to pay for professional dry cleaning? If you wash, then can you iron them with a low temperature?

Carolb from Fairview, TN

Request:

Can anyone give me any ideas on removing an Italian Dressing oil stain from the seat of a royal blue 100% polyester prom dress. The dress has no beads or sequins where the stain is located. I took the dress to a dry cleaners this morning and they refused to try and remove the stain because the tag says "do not wash, do not dry clean, PROFESSIONAL SPOT CLEAN ONLY. This dress was worn once on Saturday night. Thanks so much!

Kay

Answers:

grease stains

Janice Boltman (Guest Post)

I've tried putting baby powder on grease stains and letting them set over night. The powder absorbs the grease and then can be washed. If the clothes can not be washed just brush the powder off the next day .

RE: Salad Dressing Stain on Polyester Prom Dress

NOEL (Guest Post)

I would try Lestoil on the stain it works on a lot of things. pour some on the spot and let sit awhile. scrub with a toothbrush lightly to penetrate. it works on a lot of stains. if you cant find Lestoil in your area you can get it on the Web. Good luck

Post by for a lark

Well I assume that you have worn it already for the big event so...

the stain is oil and (poly) is a petrol. Product (oil) the two have likely bonded in an inseparable way. What I would do is PRINT A CRAZY PATTERN ON IT IN ITALIAN DRESSING! No really. Then send it to a dry cleaner (tag removed). Then HIGHLIGHT YOUR SUBTLE PATTERN. Outline it with a line of embroidery or thread.

Sounds nuts? Sure, but as it is you've got a stain that stands out, make it blend in

Post by Joankay

Try spraying the stain with Oxyclean, let it sit for a few minutes, then carefully sponge it off with clear water. As long as you avoid the beads and sequins it should be O.K. Good Luck!

sandy (Guest Post)

If it says professional spot clean only wouldn't the dry cleaner be the professional to spot clean it? take it to another place.

If you need to iron it, do it on the reverse side with a pressing cloth.

It would depend on the fabric and the size of the dress .. but I love Dryel or Dry Cleaners Secret (both available at places like WalMart) for things that absolutly have to be dry cleaned. Other items, again depending on the fabric I just hand wash. If it's a delicate item I like to use baby shampoo, it'll cut through dirt and oil and is gentle on the fabric.

To iron, I'd set the iron to whatever setting for the fabric and press inside out with a tea towel or pressing cloth in between and start in an hidden area to test.

Good Luck!

Does anyone know how to get eyeliner off of a dress?

many things have been I used turpentine asoure the stain and the use lemon juice to filter it out tell if can be washed. let it set for six hours don't use on silk.

Editor's Note: Before using anything on the stain, test it on the inside of the hem or a place where it can't be seen.

I took my prom dress to a PROFESSIONAL DRY CLEANER and they told me they couldn't do it because the tag said PROFESSIONAL SPOT CLEAN ONLY! So can anyone tell me why they can't clean it? And how can I get it cleaned?

I took my prom dress to a PROFESSIONAL DRY CLEANER and they tol dme they couldn't do it because the tag said PROFESSIONAL SPOT CLEAN ONLY! So can anyone tell me why they can't clean it? And how can I get it cleaned?

The powder idea for greasy stains is good - I also love K2R - a spray cleaner with powder - A lot of those dresses are polyester, which could be washed gently in sections - but if it's only acetate, then washing is out of the question. The dry cleaners don't want to get involved because of the beading/sequins, etc. (& if they are glued - that the glue may dissolve...) Most of those dresses aren't meant to be really cleaned. I met a woman whose daughter did pageants & she steam cleaned her dresses & used Fabreze....

Prom is tomorrow and I have some kind of grease stain on my light blue silky, maybe acrylic, prom dress. HELP!?

I need to know how to remove eyeliner from a Polyester Prom Dress.

I was trying on my dress that I just got for my prom and I got hair gel on it! It's completely dried right now but I don't know how to get it out. It's 100% polyester. Please help!

I was trying on my prom dress and I got lip gloss on it and I need to know how to remove it off of 100% polyester dress!

I'm going to prom and the dress I'm going to wear has lip gloss stains on it and it's 100% rayon. The prom is in 2 days and I'm frantic!

Red Prom Dress
Cleaning a Prom Dress
Home and Garden Cleaning StainsFebruary 23, 2006
Closet full of prom dresses.
Planning a Prom Dress Re-Sale Event
Three girls wearing prom dresses.
Saving Money on Prom Dresses
selecting a wedding dress
Selecting a Wedding Dress
Couple Going to Prom
Saying Yes to a Prom Invitation
🎉
🎄