Cleaning Multiple Litter Boxes

I have 5 cats of my own plus a foster cat, so I have a lot of litter pans to clean. I keep an old Oxiclean bucket with the litter scoop inside a small wicker trash can next to each batch of litter boxes, on every floor of the house.

When it's time to clean litter, I use two plastic grocery bags doubled up, to prevent litter from spilling out on the floor, in case of a hole in one bag. I scoop out the litter boxes, tie the bags shut, put the scoop back into the pail (to catch any damp litter that will fall of when it dries) and put the pail back into the wicker basket (it a great poop scooper disguise), and throw the bags with the dirty litter out in to the trash can in the garage.

By Jazzyjuls from Ellicott City, MD

Wow, Jazzyjuls, you sure are nice to your cats! Putting litter boxes on each floor for their convenience?

I'm a little confused by your post. Are you just sharing info, or are you asking for advice on a better way? I would like to comment that having a pit stop on each floor really isn't necessary, and is creating so much extra work for you.

You say you have a "batch' of litter boxes on each floor. Does that mean you are cleaning 6 or 8 boxes? You really only need 3 or 4 boxes in one place for 5 cats. (Maybe a small separate box for the foster cat, if necessary). Show the cats where the new location is, and they'll be fine. If you put the litter boxes in one place, you'd be cleaning half the amount of boxes in half the time, while spending half the amount of money on litter. An extra bonus is that any malicious odors (LOL!) would also be confined to one space, and not spread all over your house.

Doubling up plastic bags is a time-consuming pain. After putting groceries away, I flip each bag up to the ceiling light or the window. It takes literally one second. The bags with no holes get stored right next to my litter boxes. Voila....No doubling necessary.

That's a good idea you have about disguising the litter scoop! I hope you don't mind if I steal that idea.

I hope you don't take offense to my suggestions. Any way life can be made easier is a good thing. It is my hope that this will help to lighten your load. Good luck with your feline pack!

Pets CatsFebruary 1, 2010
Making a Cigar Box Purse
Making a Cigar Box Purse
feeding a cat
Feeding Multiple Cats
Cigars in a Box
Craft Ideas for Cigar Boxes
Cigars in a Box
Uses for Cigar Boxes