Crackle Painting Countertops

I can not afford to pay someone to do my kitchen so I am doing it myself. So far it looks great, but I have laminate countertops and would like to paint them and crackle them. Can it be done? I would appreciate any information. Thanks

By mammaw1999 from Oneonta, AL

Best Answer

I used crackle paint on my really old ugly counter tops about 8 years ago. The counter was one with metal around the edges and I painted over that as well. It turned out great except I used a sealer that turned yellow after awhile. I lived in that house for a year and never had any issues. I got lots of compliments on it as well. The crackle helped to cover some big scratches that were in the countertop that I didn't want to try to fix. I'm getting ready to do this same thing in my new house but with better sealer.

I've never tried to crackel finish my countertops, but I did try to paint them at my old house. I used kitchen cabinet paint and let me tell you, what a disaster! They looked beautiful for all of a day, but as soon as they got the least bit wet the paint would peel right off. When we moved into our new house, I didn't like the ugly laminate counters there either, but didn't have the money to change them, so I went to Lowes and found countertop paint! It was brand new, because they didn't have it when I wanted to paint my old counter about a year before. Anyway, it comes in many different colors and is made special for countertops. I think it was about $20-$25 a lot less then a new counter. I love it! It worked great for me. I painted mine almost 2 years ago and it's held up nicely. I would ask someone at Lowes about the crackle, maybe if you used the countertop paint with the crackle it would work. Good luck to you.

Counter top on sawhorses outside
Crackle Painting Countertops
Home and Garden Home Improvement PaintingAugust 7, 2010
A nice kitchen with granite countertops and white cabinets.
Coordinating Granite Countertops With Kitchen Cabinets
painted formica countertops
Painting a Formica Countertop
Nice Countertops
Protecting Your Countertops
Tile Countertops
Installing Tile Countertops