Question
Share>Newsletters>Account>About>

Men's Crocheted Skull Cap Pattern

My hubby will be having Deep Brain Stimulation surgery next month. After the surgery, he will have to wear bandannas or skull caps on his head to help keep the surgery spots clean.

I would like some men's skull cap crochet patterns I can make for him. I've checked some of the sites with crocheted caps, but most of them have caps for women. The kind I'm looking for are the ones like you sometimes find on websites for military skull caps. Thank you so much.

By DiJones from Wilsonville, OR

Here are the recent answer to this question.

By Di [12]09/16/2009

Thank you to every one for responding. I was able to make a crocheted cap a bit too large, then lined it with a light weight cotton fabric and put some elastic thread on the edges. It stretches, it covers the wounds and it is very washable. Finding the right fit was a bit tricky, but it's warmer than just crochet and I can make several colors for him. Again, thank you.

By Cyinda [214]09/16/2009

I just found what you want! it's a chemo cap crocheted from soft 100% cotton for women, just make it a bit larger for a man. It's a supper-easy pattern! You'll have to join Bernat's site, but it's free & they don't sell your info.

http://www.bernat.com/pattern.php?PID=4603
If you can't find it this way, just log on to: www.bernat.com & search "chemo cap".

By Cyinda [214]09/08/2009

I went on to a place on the net that sells these military skull caps to get a good look. First off I'd like to say you can make a more comfy skull caps for your husband out of a cotton-lycra stretch knit fabric. Just sew 2 half circles of stretch fabric together. Sewy, fabric caps would be more comfortable for him to sleep in or wear anytime. Just take one of his stocking hats & lay that over the folded fabric as a pattern. Make sure the most stretch goes side to side not top to bottom (on the hat)

As far as crocheting, If you're not a beginner but are an intermediate Crocheter, you don't need a pattern (I've made lots of these without a pattern) You start on the top center of the head making a chain then crocheting 10 or 12 single crotchets inside that chain when you get back to the first single crochet go over that one & continue in a spiral pattern... Just keep crocheting in the spiral pattern adding 2 single crochets in one stitch (increases) ever 4 or 5 stitches to keep the beginning of the hat flat. After it's about 5 or 6 inches around you'll need to slowly add less & less stitches to bring the flatness to a curve. When the hat fits your hubby's skull you'll need to keep the stitches the same & not add or decrease to make straight rows (this area will be the sides). Continue until it's down to his ears or as long as you need it.

A warning: Crocheted hats are not very stretchy... That's why most hats are knit. You can use a sock yarn with elastic added to help this cap stretch a bit more. But if you can knit, you can make a hat that will have more stretch & give. Another option would be to crochet the cap a tiny bit wider that needed, then with a needle & thin elastic thread (it comes on a spool where other elastic is sold in white or black) thread this thin elastic into & around the bottom of the cap. Keep the elastic thread (also called "bobbin elastic") inside the stitches all the way around. I would sew in 3 - 5 rows of thin elastic.

Yarn Types:
1) I would use either cotton Knit-cro-sheen (the cotton make for lace & doilies) Knit-cro-sheen is Mercerized which means it's been boiled so it won't shrink when washed. You can also buy the thicker doily cotton or work with 2 or 3 strands of Knit-cro-sheen. For men's things always use single crochet because double crochet can look lacy & feminine.
2) Sock yarn has elastic added. This might also be comfy as long as you don't buy a brand that has wool in it.

* I would sew these out of a stretch cotton or old T-shirts if this were my husband because they might not be very comfy crocheted. Cotton Lycra fabric is so much softer & easy care.

By Clynn Altemus [21]09/03/2009

I don't have the pattern any more. My father was bald headed and got cold in the winter so he wore a skull cap to bed. When I was a kid I learned to crochet the granny square and I simply made it round rather than square. I put two dc in one loop every so often to keep it round and flat. When it was large enough around I did the reverse so it would bowl shape.. If it came in too fast I just ripped it back a row and redid it.

(I was a practical joker so at Christmas time I always added a pompom.) My father loved me and humored me and wore it any way. God bless.

By susan cantin [5]08/29/2009

I wouldn't recommend anything knitted or crocheted on top of a wound. They can gather bacteria in between the stitches. I think a cloth scull cap would be better.....several so they can be washed. Also, if there is any bleeding etc the little fibers could stick to the wound. Cloth would be best. You could make them from fabric that has his favorite hobby printed on them.

By cyndee kromminga [14]08/29/2009

This pattern says 'boys', but reading it, I believe it will easily fit a man. Looks fairly simple too. Good Luck!
http://www.allfreecrafts.com/crochet/beanie.shtml

By Marjorie C. Woodworth [82]08/29/2009

http://www.knittingonthenet.com/patterns/hatskull.htm
It looks like a very easy pattern to knit. Hoping that your husband comes through the surgery okay!
Oops, so sorry this is a knit pattern, not crochet!