Satin Bow for a Prom Dress

We are trying to find a way to keep the satin bow on my daughter's prom dress tied! We have to pull it really tight first, she holds it while I make the bow. But because the fabric is so slippery, it loosens quickly. It's a major support of the dress so it can't be loose. We tried pinning, but really can't seem to get it through all parts of the knot without it showing. Anyone have any suggestions other than sewing the knot after she puts it on? THANK YOU!

Denise

Will double stick tape work? If not, then what about those little velcro dots? Just a thought.

Did you try to make the two bows and then knot them -

What about attaching something like a bra back hook behind the bow. Sew it into the dress, hook it tight and then tie the bow over the top to cover it. You might even be able to find a bra at a thrift store of the same color and material. The size wouldn't matter because you are just using the back. The bow might not come untied so easily if it is not getting so much tension. It's a beautiful dress, Good luck.

Jess

What about craft wire? It is coated in plastic so your daughter shouldn't get poked by the edges, and if you

use strong tape (duct tape?) and tape the edges, she shouldn't feel the ends. Take the small pieces of craft wire and tape it to the inside of the two pieces of fabric to make them stronger, have your daughter hold the bow while you tie making sure the wire is always on the underside of the bow so it isn't in view. You can get the craft wire at any craft store, it's fairly cheap and you get a lot.

how about clear nail polish on the bow after it is tied. it would be dangerous if the bow came untied.

I used to spray water on my kids shoe laces to keep them from coming undone. I don't see why this wouldn't work on the bow. just moisten the part that is being tied, it will keep the bow tight.

How about two pins on the backsides of the bow near the knot--one on each side of the knot?

I was also going to suggest trying velcro. Put it right where the knot will be. Velcro, then tie the knot.

I never went to prom--I wish I had.

I agree with you that it needs to stay put - I would be afraid some "smart aleck or jealous girl" would come up and untie the dress embarrassing your daughter.

I would tie it definitely in a double bow so no one could possibly untie it.

I liked the water suggestion. But how about hairspray on the bow BEFORE tying; it would give it more grip.

Tie the 2 ends in a tight knot, then tie the bow. Even if the bow comes undone - the knot will support the dress... then a friend can re-tie the bow...

Here's how I would handle this, pin it securly after you tie the overhand knot and then tie the bow. It will eliminate the pressure on the bow.

I've often wondered about the dresses the dancers wear on "Dancing With The Stars." Like ice skaters, they must use skin-colored body tights and body glue in all the strategic areas, so the dancers are covered even if the dress gives way. In addition to the bra hook (isn't that a good idea), how about some body glue on the sides of that gorgeous dress?

Wow that is such a pretty dress!

Would hairspray help? Or maybe sew some velcro on the appropriate places behind the bow, inside the dress? Maybe you could sew on some kind of hook-and-eye closure in the back. You might want to take the dress to a fabric store and ask the employees for ideas.

Tie the sash part in a square knot first, which won't come undone, then tie the ends into a bow. A square knot doesn't come undone unless you deliberately untie it. (She'll probably need help getting undressed when she gets home, tho-but that's a good thing!)

You could use a large kilt pin to go through the back of the bow. In the old days the bows were external & snapped on afterwards - just a thought - also you could sew elastic to the two ends to hold them together and then tie the bow decorative - or you could sew a stretch back bra into the dress....

After you make the first loop, when you wrap the fabric around it in preperation to pull through for the second loop, wrap it around twice then push the fabric through both wraps to make the second loop. Pull it firmly to tighten both wraps while evening out the loops. Because the fabric is slippery try it before the event to be sure it will stay, but I personally have never had a problem with a double wrapped bow made of any material.

Try just tying it then using a safety pin on the underside.

Good luck.

I'd go with a double approach. I use purplekat's double knotting system, but I also put a strip of double stick tape on my back underneath just to make sure. It seems to work very well when I wear satin!

Maybe a button sewn at the cross point for closure first, and then tying the bow.... or completely detaching the tied bow, using a fastener of your choice for the straps to meet snugly - then snapping the bow over it... Good luck!

I am currently trying to attach a bra into a VERY low strapless prom dress for a 17 yr. old needing to lift and support double D's without a bra strap showing!

The outfits that skaters wear have flesh colored mesh holding all of the low cut areas together. If you look really close you can see it. The judges don't approve low cut outfits for skating, but if they have this sheer or skin colored mesh in the low cut areas that gives the appearance of modesty.

Holidays and Parties Parties SchoolApril 20, 2007
Closet full of prom dresses.
Planning a Prom Dress Re-Sale Event
Three girls wearing prom dresses.
Saving Money on Prom Dresses
Red Prom Dress
Cleaning a Prom Dress
Removing Stains from a Satin Dress
Removing Stains from a Satin Dress
🎉
🎄