Alternative to the Black & Decker Jar Openers

When you do not have strength in your hands: Take a nail and tap a hole in the lid. It's easy to turn when vacuum is released. Use the Food Saver tip, put a piece of tape over the hole!

Takes up less space and definitely cheaper than buying the jar opener!

By Syd

Great idea. I have always used the edge of a knife or a screwdriver under the lid to pop the vacuum sealing...then the jar opens easily. Also have some round rubber pieces that will grab the lid nicely. I thought that new jar opener gadget was a bit ridiculous actually and I can think of better ways to spend money.

Sid,I'd like to thank-you.Instead of a nail I bought an awl! Spent a whole $0.99 for it and keep it in w/my other kitchen gadgets.You saved my roughly $35.00.Happy Holidays,Keeper

Making a hole in the lid is good idea, I bet if you don't have anything else an icepick would work too.

Can Opener
Cleaning Can Openers
A pink piggy bank made from a plastic mayo bottle.
Mayonnaise Jar Piggy Bank
Illustration of two kids in costumes.  A witch and a pirate.
Making a Black Widow Spider Costume
underside of Black Widow Spider
Getting Rid of Black Widow Spiders
🎄