Apartment Living

If you are able to choose, (and physically able) get an apartment higher than the main floor. This works well for me for two reasons.

1) I have barely had to turn up my heat this winter, my thermostat is set at 50 and my home is usually over 70. Even with the rising costs of electricity and gas my last bill was $22.00

2) Not only do you save money on electricity, but going up and down the stairs provides a little added exercise you don't even realize you are getting!

Not to mention, I feel safer up there as it is just my daughter and me.

By Danielle from Spokane, WA

MY DAUGHTER HAS FOUND QUITE THE OPPOSITE, SHE LIVES IN THE BASEMENT APARTMENT AND IT STAYS REALLY WARM IN THE WINTER(SHE'S ACTUALLY HAD TO TURN HER HEAT OFF A TIME OR TWO) BECAUSE SHE IS BELOW GROUND IT STAYS WARM IN THE WINTER AND COOL IN THE SUMMER.WE LIVE IN ILLINOIS AND SHE TOO HAS BEEN LUCKY WITH ONLY $22 POWER BILLS

Hi Danielle.. I would like to offer the reverse for consideration. I live in a second floor rented apartment and unfortunately it gets devilishy hot in the summer.. unbearably so at times. We do have hot summers (Melbourne Australia) and the windows )big ones) only face east and west, so get all the morning sunshine, then all the afternoon sunshine as well!

However, it is pleasant in the colder months.. and Yes, on the whole I like to be up a little higher than the ground floor, I get views, and as you said the exercise going up and downstairs is good.. for my 2 cats as well!

I'm not so sure the basement would be the best place to be...though it does stay warm in winter and cool in summer, it's also the area that can get flooded! I don't know about you, but I'd rather use a little more heat/air cond. than get flooded out. Plus, from a security standpoint the second floor or higher is better.

Actually, basements are great (though we did go through the flooding, that is a fact of life! The downstairs is greatly insulated for temp and sound, and in Tornado Alley it is nice to be safe! We would have a little party with snacks and movie on tv and didn't have to worry about moving the kids in the middle of the night. The view is also more fun, we had birds, toads, rabbits, snails YOU NAME IT!

Budget & Finance Renting ApartmentFebruary 28, 2006
Composting
Composting in an Apartment
Inexpensive Couch
Inexpensive Furnishings for a Temporary Apartment
An street with an "Apartment For Rent" sign.
Renting an Apartment
Painted Screen Partition
Partitioning a Bedroom in an Apartment
🎄