Natural Remedy For Head Lice

Recently my 2 granddaughters got head lice from school. After using a Rid kit and 3 trips to the doctor they finally told me to use Listerine mouthwash and vinegar.

Using a spray bottle so you don't get it in their eyes, saturate the hair with mouthwash, you can use generic and mint flavored if you want. Cover the head with a shower cap to keep the heat in and leave on overnight or all day until hair dries. Rinse out mouthwash, towel dry, and spray hair with vinegar, cover with shower cap and leave on overnight or all day until hair dries. Shampoo and condition then comb with a nit comb.

This might take a few treatments, but it worked and was much safer than the chemicals you can only use once every 10 days, and it is much cheaper. I know this sounds crazy I thought so too, but it does work.

By Tonya from Cushing, OK

They make all natural lice killers. Most are made from silicone and are similar to hair conditioner. The lotion is thick and you must use a lice comb but it is safe and effectice. I hate to think of parents putting the insectiside lice treatments on the children's heads.

Google "mayonnaise for head lice" and you will find dozens of sites to visit. Works great!

Tonya, I don't know about you, but I've heard of people here in Oklahoma who still use kerosene to get rid of head lice! When my oldest son (25 now) was a kid, there were several boys in his class who's parents still solved the problem by shaving their heads. Glad to know you found a safer method!

I prefer the Roman Way by covering the hair in cold, clean cooking oil. I put some old clothes on and put a towel around my shoulders. Then cover the hair in cooking oil and then meticulously comb the entire head with a Nitty Gritty nit comb. Cleaning the comb in hot water and wiping it clean with kitchen roll on every sweep of the comb. Then put on a shower cap, and an old pillowcase on your pillows. Keep on overnight. The next day meticulously go over the head with the Nitty Gritty and either keep the oil on for another day or wash off 3 times with shampoo.

It sure does work but you must work hard on it

Dark hair having a lice comb run through it
Natural Remedies for Head Lice
Health & Beauty Home RemediesJuly 13, 2011
Mother Nits out of Her Daughters Hair
Preventing Head Lice
Pile of mayonnaise on white background
Using Mayonnaise for Head Lice
Someone using a nit comb on a child's hair.
Getting Rid of Head Lice
Toilet Brush Head
Toilet Brush Head Stuck in Toilet
🎄