Unshrinking Rayon

By Pam Dowdle 1

I have a Rayon sleeveless dress that shrunk. Can it be stretched back to size?

Nicplus3 from South Dakota

Showing: Answers Sort

By badwater 263 654 Flag

I'm pretty sure that once you've shrunk this type of material, it's shrunk for life, same with wool. When it says to handwash, it means it. I have had some luck with machine washing on the delicate cycle some items that said "dry clean only", but I don't dry them in the dryer, I hang to drip dry.

ReplyWas this helpful? Yes

By guest (Guest Post) Flag

Neatly fold your dress and submerse it in a sink of cool water. Leave it long enough to saturate. Drain the water off and gently press some of the wetness out. Without wringing it, hang it up over the bathtub to drip dry. Putting rayon in the dryer shrinks it and makes the fabric too soft. Letting it airdry lets the garment retain its shape. I have done this after machine drying a garment and it works.

ReplyWas this helpful? Yes

By guest (Guest Post) Flag

That happened to me today. When I took it out of the washer, my dress looked like a shirt (!). I tried drip-drying and stretching the material. It took a while, but it soon took went back into shape. I wouldn't put it into water again. Rayon has a low retention, especially in when wet. HWM rayon is different and stronger. I would do more research before trying anything else.

ReplyWas this helpful? Yes

Comment

Home and Garden Cleaning LaundryNovember 7, 2005
ThriftyFun on Facebook ThriftyFun on Pinterest Enter a Contest Free Newsletters Ask a Question Share a Post
Related Guide
doing laundry
Cleaning Rayon Clothes
© 1997-2016 by Cumuli, Inc. All Rights Reserved. Published by . Page generated on February 8, 2016 at 11:57:49 PM on 10.0.1.208 in 1 seconds. Use of this web site constitutes acceptance of ThriftyFun's Disclaimer and Privacy Policy. If you have any problems or suggestions feel free to Contact Us.

NewestOldestMost HelpfulLeast HelpfulRelevance
Site MenuShare a PostContestsAsk a QuestionAbout ThriftyFun
BrowseAll By DateAll GuidesAll QuestionsAll VideosRecent FeedbackLonely Questions
CategoriesBetter LivingBudget & FinanceBusiness & LegalConsumer AdviceCraftsEducationEntertainmentFood & RecipesGarage SalesHealth & BeautyHolidays & PartiesHome & GardenMake Your OwnOrganizingParentingPetsTravel & RecreationWeddings