Work Clothes Left Grease and Oil in Washer and Dryer

My washer and dryer is filthy from oilfield smut (grease, mud, oil, etc.). My husband washed his coveralls and then dried them too, in my machines. Shudder. Anyone have any tips to clean my machines without having to purchase a commercial cleaner? If not, do you know a good cleaner?

By Brooklyn_rayne from Edmonton, Alberta

One word: vinegar. add a quart to hot water in a empty washer, run the cycle. Might have to do that 2 times. As for the dryer I have no idea. sry

If it is that horribly dirty maybe you should use a commercial cleaner. I googled "washing machine cleaner" and found Tide and Sears make a product for this. There are other options as well.

First thing I'd try is a hot water load with baking soda, washing soda or borax. If that didn't help much I'd purchase something like the ones I mentioned above.

Get out as much as you can by hand - whether you use Mr. Clean, Lysol, Fantastik, Windex, etc. Then wash a load of towels (that you don't care about) or rags with some sort of degreaser (low suds) - this is for the washer. The dryer is going to be more difficult. Get out what you can with cleaners - you can try Magic Erasers too. Then let those wet towels run through the dryer a time or two (or three) to get the rest out.