Browsing: Painting Glass Ornaments

Painting Clear Glass Ornaments

I have seen Christmas balls that are originally clear glass. The balls have paint on the inside that has been swirled around. They were lovely. How do I make them? I have tried with my regular paint and with glass window paint neither did any swirling. Thank you.

Showing: Answers Sort: Relevance

My grandchildren and I did this a few years ago. I purchased oil based paint from the craft store (came in small squeeze bottles. We matched up two or even three colors, shot about 1/4 teaspoon (you will figure out amounts after about one or two trys) down separate sides counted to 5 and swirled the ornaments, they came out beautiful. While drying we stood them with opening down in Egg cartons that we had cut apart so that each bulb had its own little nest. This removed the excess paint

Just saw this post the other day. They are beautiful!

<a href="http://www.thriftyfun.com/tf10262312.tip.html">Glass Holiday Orbs</a>

http://www.thriftyfun.com/tf10262312.tip.html

Apparently I'm not good at linking things. Sorry!

The kids did these in Sunday School and they came out great. We had them choose 3 colors and put in a small puddle of each all at once. Add each color on a different spot. As they were swirled around they blended with each other perfectly. We let them drain in paper cups and the next Sunday they were drained and dry. Then the hangers were put back in and a ribbon tied around the top. Total amount of paint added up to about size of a dime. The kids were so proud of their beautiful creations.

An addition to previous post. The kind of paint we used was just everyday acrylic craft paint

My best advice is to use very little paint at a time and let one color begin to dry before adding a second color. Remember that once you let them sit, the liquid will continue to move. Make sure you put names on them if you are making them with a group because they will not be what you left them looking like when you return. Half the fun is seeing what you end up with. It really is a beautiful craft. Enjoy.

I wonder if adding a little water or paint conditioner (you will find this product where the paint sprayers are) will help dilute the paint enough to swirl?

I tried using 'paint' only and it just kind of sat there, I got frustrated and put the bulbs back in the box! Maybe I'll try it again and post back if it worked and how I did it the 'EASY' way :)

I tried making these, but they didn't turn out so well. I swirled the paint in and left them upside down in an egg carton to dry. They looked great at the time, but the next day they looked pretty bad. They had large bare spots where the paint didn't stick. Someone told me to try rinsing the ornaments with alcohol first, but I had the same outcome. Any ideas? Thanks!

Sorry, computer glitch

I just tried to do these, too and the paint wouldn't swirl well. It seemed to be too thick. Then, when I added more paint, it swirled but it wasted so much and the ornament cracked at the top over night while it was drying upside down. What did I do wrong? I used acryllic paint.

http://www.save-on-crafts.com/howtomakcero.html

Check out the above website, it gives good instructions. I make these every year.

I have made a few of these ornaments and listed them in my Etsy shop. www.teresascrafts.etsy.com

They are fairly easy to make and it's always a surprise to see how they turn out!

(Submitted via email)

My grandchildren painted the inside of ornaments yesterday. The paint swirled great and they look so good this morning, except several of the ornaments cracked at the top. How can we avoid this?

Diana M.

I found a simple and fun option to paint. I cut the decorative rope garland into small pieces and pushed it with a large crochet hook into the glass bulb, put the cap on add a ribbon voila! no drying time. I sold these at a craft sale. Imagine my surprise to last season to see this ornament on a friend's tree. She had received it as a package topper on a gift in a previous season.

Painted Glass Ornament
Painting Glass Ornaments
Crafts Christmas OrnamentsOctober 8, 2008
Star shaped glass candle holder.
Cleaning Candle Wax from Glass
snowman on a glass ornament
Snowman Patterns for Painting on Glass
Painting Glass
Painting Glass
A salt dough ornament on a Christmas tree.
Making Salt Dough Ornaments
© 1997-2016 by Cumuli, Inc. All Rights Reserved. Published by . Page generated on September 23, 2016 at 7:08:13 PM on 10.0.2.166 in 4 seconds. Use of this web site constitutes acceptance of ThriftyFun's Disclaimer and Privacy Policy. If you have any problems or suggestions feel free to Contact Us.