Browse   Newsletters   Contests   Ask   Share   Account   About

Painting Clear Glass Ornaments

I have seen Christmas balls that are originally clear glass. The balls have paint on the inside that has been swirled around. They were lovely. How do I make them? I have tried with my regular paint and with glass window paint neither did any swirling. Thank you.

Sandy from Halethorpe

By

By Sally [13]12/01/2013

(Submitted via email)

My grandchildren painted the inside of ornaments yesterday. The paint swirled great and they look so good this morning, except several of the ornaments cracked at the top. How can we avoid this?

Diana M.

By Teresa07/02/2009

I have made a few of these ornaments and listed them in my Etsy shop. www.teresascrafts.etsy.com
They are fairly easy to make and it's always a surprise to see how they turn out!

RE: Painting Clear Glass Ornaments

By Anne (Guest Post)12/16/2008

http://www.save-on-crafts.com/howtomakcero.html
Check out the above website, it gives good instructions. I make these every year.

By (Guest Post)10/29/2008

I just tried to do these, too and the paint wouldn't swirl well. It seemed to be too thick. Then, when I added more paint, it swirled but it wasted so much and the ornament cracked at the top over night while it was drying upside down. What did I do wrong? I used acryllic paint.

By Leigh10/23/2008

Sorry, computer glitch

By Leigh10/23/2008

I tried making these, but they didn't turn out so well. I swirled the paint in and left them upside down in an egg carton to dry. They looked great at the time, but the next day they looked pretty bad. They had large bare spots where the paint didn't stick. Someone told me to try rinsing the ornaments with alcohol first, but I had the same outcome. Any ideas? Thanks!

By Leigh10/23/2008

By Laurie [44]10/16/2008

I wonder if adding a little water or paint conditioner (you will find this product where the paint sprayers are) will help dilute the paint enough to swirl?
I tried using 'paint' only and it just kind of sat there, I got frustrated and put the bulbs back in the box! Maybe I'll try it again and post back if it worked and how I did it the 'EASY' way :)

By Mama Sage (Guest Post)10/15/2008

My best advice is to use very little paint at a time and let one color begin to dry before adding a second color. Remember that once you let them sit, the liquid will continue to move. Make sure you put names on them if you are making them with a group because they will not be what you left them looking like when you return. Half the fun is seeing what you end up with. It really is a beautiful craft. Enjoy.

By Beverly Ross [2]10/10/2008

An addition to previous post. The kind of paint we used was just everyday acrylic craft paint

By Beverly Ross [2]10/10/2008

The kids did these in Sunday School and they came out great. We had them choose 3 colors and put in a small puddle of each all at once. Add each color on a different spot. As they were swirled around they blended with each other perfectly. We let them drain in paper cups and the next Sunday they were drained and dry. Then the hangers were put back in and a ribbon tied around the top. Total amount of paint added up to about size of a dime. The kids were so proud of their beautiful creations.

By Amy [2]10/08/2008

http://www.thriftyfun.com/tf10262312.tip.html

Apparently I'm not good at linking things. Sorry!

By Amy [2]10/08/2008

Just saw this post the other day. They are beautiful!

<a href="http://www.thriftyfun.com/tf10262312.tip.html">Glass Holiday Orbs</a>

By Peggy10/08/2008

My grandchildren and I did this a few years ago. I purchased oil based paint from the craft store (came in small squeeze bottles. We matched up two or even three colors, shot about 1/4 teaspoon (you will figure out amounts after about one or two trys) down separate sides counted to 5 and swirled the ornaments, they came out beautiful. While drying we stood them with opening down in Egg cartons that we had cut apart so that each bulb had its own little nest. This removed the excess paint