Frying Chicken Livers

Can anyone tell me how to fry chicken livers without having grease pop all over. My husband and oldest son love them but I hate fixing them because I get splattered on every time I fry them. I tried boiling first but that didn't work. Help!

Trudy from Springfield, IL

I've fried alot of chicken liver in my life time. I cut them into small sections, roll them in flour, and then lay them in hot grease. I know they pop more if you have the heat too high. You want a small simmer of a fry, not a high fire. Wait for them to get good and brown on one side, before turning. Always use a lid. (or splatter screen), I like glass see through lids. And I always use an iron skillet, it's the best for frying. Always use the lid. They don't take long to fry, and salt and pepper.

I'm southern, and we love to fry. Good luck from KY.

I sauté chicken livers in a frypan with approx 2 Tablespoon of fat (mixture of olive oil & butter)*, a small onion, finely chopped, salt and pepper. A few finely chopped mushrooms are good too. Cook them gently over low heat, stirring occasionally so they don't stick. When almost cooked, you can turn the heat up a bit to brown them, but not too much or they'll be tough. They're done when no longer pink in the middle.

*For different flavor, you can substitute bacon fat for the oil and butter.

Another way to cook chicken livers is to make Bacon-Wrapped Chicken Livers, a great snack or appetizer.. a treat for your family or guests!

(there's a good photo here:http://pinoycook.net/index.php/reci ... recipe/bacon-wrapped-chicken-livers/ but i didn't like the recipe)

A better recipe:

Bacon-Wrapped Chicken Livers

1 pound chicken livers

1 pound partially cooked bacon (see note below)*

Salt and pepper to taste

Dry chicken livers with paper towels. Wrap each 1/2 strip of bacon and skewer with a toothpick. Broil in oven approximately 5 to 6 minutes, turning once. Test for doneness by cutting into a chicken liver with a sharp pointed knife.

*Note: to figure out how much bacon, count the chicken livers and use one slice of bacon for every 2 chicken livers. E.g. for 10 chicken livers, you'd need 5 slices of bacon.

I also have a recipe for Chicken Liver Paté if you're interestd. Nice spread on crackers or bread.

I don't think you can keep them from popping. However, a splatter screen or lid on the skillet will work to cut down on the mess. Hope this helps.

I read somewhere that if you poke them numerous times with a fork before frying that will help with the popping when frying them. I haven't tried this yet myself but I too love chicken liver so if you try it let us know if it works.

never stick them with a fork while frying.

First, make certain they are as dry as possible. Use a good quality, heavy paper towel to absorb fluids (no paper napkins!). Second, invest in a low-cost spatter shield (net-like flat disk that goes over top of pan). Then use a folding spatter shield around three sides of pan. (This is an aluminum, three-part standing shield.) It's also good to wear a hot mitt that comes almost up to the elbow for the hand doing the stirring. After once getting all this gear together, it will become automatic the next time you need to fry something. The shields are great in keeping the rest of the stove clean, too. Have fun and enjoy! (Tried Worchestershire sauce with them??? Yum!)

Due to splatters, I do as much pan frying as possible in an electric skillet on the back porch.

thanks for the responses, I will certainly give them a try. Will let you know which ones work the best.

Invert a colander over the frying pan unless you have one of those spatter guard things you use for bacon, etc.

I oven-fry regular chicken and chicken livers and don't have to worry about grease popping.

Pre-heat your oven to about 350 degrees. Line a large cookie pan with foil. Melt about 1/2 stick of butter or margarine in the pan. Season and flour your livers. Place in melted butter and cook for 15 minutes, then turn over and cook for another 15 minutes.

For chicken pieces, flour and season and cook on one side for 30 minutes and turn over and cook for another 30 minutes.

It's not as crispy as frying but it does make a good flaky crust. It's also less fat. It's healthier and delicious!

I saw on the Food Network that if you poke some holes in them the splatter should decrease.

Chicken Liver
Chicken Liver Recipes
Food and Recipes Food Tips MeatJanuary 18, 2007
Chicken a la King in puff pastry shell
Chicken A' La King Recipes
frying pan birdbath
Making a Birdbath from a Frying Pan
Cute Little Girl in Chicken Costume
Making a Chicken Costume
Large Turkey in Deep Fryer
Deep Frying a Turkey
🎉
🎄