So I have a bunch (10 or so) mandarin oranges in cups, that are in liquid. My hubby is not really a big fan, so I was wondering if I could make some type of dessert with them and give them to some of my friends. Or any other ideas of something that I can do with them because I am tired of eating them plain. Any ideas?
By Jessica from West Jordan, UT
The first thing that comes to mind for me is Ambrosia Salad. You'll have to drain off the liquid, but that's no big deal. This looks very similar to the recipe my mom uses:
Orange Pineapple Salad
6 ounce Orange Jello
8 ounce cool whip
16 ounce cottage cheese
1 can Mandarin oranges (drained)
1 small can crushed pineapple (drained)
1 cup chopped nuts
Mix jello with cottage cheese. Add other ingredients. Chill
Make a salad using napa cabbage (also known as bok choy or Chinese cabbage), avocadoes and some drained mandarin oranges and use this salad dressing recipe. It's a really yummy combination:
Sesame Salad Dressing
3 tbsp rice wine vinegar
1 tbsp sesame oil
1 tbsp soy sauce
1 tsp sugar
1 tsp sesame seeds
Mix all the ingredients other than oil in a bowl. Add oil gradually into a bowl and mix well. Makes about 1/3 cup
Jessica, Try "Frog Eyed Salad" I've been making it for years and everyone loves it!
1 cup sugar
3 egg yolks
1T lemon juice
2 cups pineapple juice
1(160z)package Acini de Pepe pasta
2(20oz)cans pineapple chunks
2(11oz)cans mandarin oranges, drained
1(12oz) frozen whipped topping, thawed
Optional:chopped maraschino cherries(3/4 cup) and
1) In large pan over low heat, combine sugar,egg yolks,flour,pineapple juice and lemon juice. Stir and cook until thickened.Remove from heat.
2)While sauce is cooking, cook pasta in lightly salted, boiling water for 8-10 minutes.Drain and rinse with cold water.
3)In large bowl, combine cooked mixture with pasta and stir until well coated.Refrigerate 8 hrs. or over nite.
4)Toss pasta with pineapple, mandarin oranges and whipped topping. Add cherries and marshmallows, if desired. Refrigerate until serving.
Here are some of the ways I use them:
1. Add drained oranges into a yellow cake mix used for pineapple upside down cake or use in PLACE of pineapple for orange upside down cake.
2. Add drained oranges to whipped topping to use as frosting on a jello poke-and-pour cake.
3. Add drained oranges to jello along with diced bananas.
4. Add drained oranges to cottage cheese for lunch.
5. Pour over chicken breast in a baking dish for orange chicken.
Add your voice! Click below to comment. ThriftyFun is powered by your wisdom!