Cream of Something Soup

contest winner icon
Regular canned cream soups are usually full of sodium and fat and are expensive. So many casserole recipes call for a can of creamed something and just don't taste quite the same without it. All of my bunch has to watch out for the salt intake, so we really like this recipe.

• 2 cups non-fat dry milk powder (instant powdered milk)
  • 3/4 cup cornstarch
  • 1/4 cup chicken bouillon granules
  • 2 Tbsp. dry onion flakes
  • 1 tsp. basil flakes
  • 1 tsp. garlic powder
  • 1/2 tsp. pepper
  • 2 Tbsp. dry celery flakes
  • If you have dried mushrooms to add when cooking the soup that would be good.

Combine all ingredients in a bowl and mix thoroughly. Store in a quart sized container with a lid. Can be kept for several months.

To cook: Combine 1/3 cup of the mix and 1 and 1/4 cup of water in a saucepan. Over a medium heat, stir well until it comes to a boil and boil for one minute while continuing to stir.

It is now ready to use in any recipe that calls for a can of cream of something soup. I use it in all my regular casserole recipes. It tastes pretty good as a "Cup of Soup" also.

Source: Got this from a website called several years ago.

By Elaine from OK

This is a great tip, and so much less than expensive than the store bought soup that is $1.00 + per can. I use this regularly. :)

That sounds like a wonderful tip. If something calls for cream of chicken soup, I suppose you could add chicken granules or celery soup you could add celery salt but then you would just add more salt to the soup. Still, it sounds like a good option. You probably could add chopped broccoli and cheese for that kind of soup. Thanks for the tip.

Thanks for the recipe. My mom was just put on a very low salt diet and cream of soups are so loaded with sodium. It has been difficult to make casseroles for her but now with this recipe I think we can give her something good to eat again.

Cream of Mushroom Soup
Cream Soup Recipes
Food and Recipes Recipes Soups Cream OfMay 1, 2011
Valentine's ice cream sandwiches.
Ice Cream Cake Hearts
Cream of Broccoli Soup in White Bowl
Cream of Broccoli Soup Recipes
Bowl of cream of tomato soup garnished with chives.
Freezing Tomato Soup
cast iron pot of soup with chestnuts scattered about
Cream of Chestnut Soup Recipes