Removing Packaging From Toys Before Wrapping Them

One tip I have for toys under the tree is to remove them from their packaging before wrapping them. Toys these days have so much plastic and twist ties that it can take forever to get a toy out of their packaging.

It also saves space under the tree and allows us to put in batteries and check for missing/broken parts which eliminates Christmas morning disappointments. If the toy is an awkward shape once it's out of the box, I either wrap it in a gift bag, put it back in it's original box (minus all the plastic and cardboard inserts), or put it in a storage box that I plan to use for permanent storage of the toy after Christmas (like a photo storage box, plastic basket, a bucket, or whatever else I currently use to store toys.)

Make sure you keep the instructions and warranties/receipts in a safe place, but if you test out the toys beforehand you probably don't need to keep the boxes. Just make sure you throw them out or store them before the kids find them!

One other big benefit I've had from this is that second-hand or homemade gifts don't stand out and won't be rejected by kids who turn their noses up at something because it's not new or store bought.

Oh, and I must admit I also don't mind putting together and testing (i.e. playing) with the toys beforehand just to make sure they're in good working order!

By Trix

I absolutely agree!! Removing the 20 little plastic wire twisties that a hold a little toy in place creates a much more enjoyful environment. You don't have kids shoving toys at you in every direction asking you to undo them.

As a single parent, I also appreciate having the batteries already installed when the gift is unwrapped! I try to remember to do this for my grand-nephews and nieces.

I do this when posting presents, especially overseas, as it saves on P&P!

I love, love, love this idea. I have 3 little ones at my house and a small living room. I can already see the space this will save by doing this, and most of the trash is already gone and Christmas morning isn't even here yet. Thanks

Plastic Packaging
Removing Plastic Packaging
Holidays and Parties Christmas GiftsDecember 18, 2004
A young girl playing with a toy train.
Tips for Choosing Eco-Friendly Toys
Reusing Toy Packaging
Reusing Toy Packaging
paper, scissors, tape, and other gift wrap supplies
Gift Wrapping Station Ideas
Neatly Wrapped Homemade Soap
Packaging Homemade Soap for Sale
🎄