Putting Self Stick Tile Over Linoleum

I want to lay down self stick tiles on top of linoleum in the bathroom. Can it be done successfully?

Grandma D. from Colorado

For various reasons, I put some self-stick tile over part of my lineoleum in the kitchen it did work - but with self-stick stiles you always have trouble with the seams - it might be better to get one big piece from the hardware store...I know Home Depot sells pieces big enough for bathrooms and small kitchens...

I wouldn't do it. You will never be happy with the results. As pamphilia says, you can get a single sheet of linolium for probably less than you could pay for those sticky squares. You might need help installing a single sheet, but at least it will look right for many years to come.

It may sound unconventional but try lightly sanding the linoleum to roughen it up, it will most likely help the tiles stick better, and start in the middle of your room and work your way outward. If you start at one end, when you get to the other you will have odd shaped tiles at one end and it will make your room look off. Starting at the middle will allow you to make the edges look how they should, with the smallest pieces all around the edge of the room, (which means you can probably use two pieces to do an edge and save money!). Also, be careful using tiles that have a pattern on them, if you do, make sure they all go the same way because even if it has a subtle pattern one facing the opposite way, it will stick out. Good Luck and let us know how it goes!!

I did that. It worked out very very nicely! One tip, after struggling with a utility knife for most of the floor, i found i could just cut the tiles to fit the edges and around the pedistal sink and toilet with scizzors! I did put one tile over a crevise in the floor below the linoleum, and that tile cracked. It was very difficult to get that tile up to replace it! Those tiles REALLY stick!

Thank you all for your input :)!

Yes , it can be done. Just be sure and take some tough sand paper and rough your old linoleum floor. Also BE SURE and use some glue under each tile. Even though it says PRE_PASTED or SELF_STICK. My husband and I made the mistake to just pull the back off and stick ours down. Had to take piece by piece up and apply glue under it. Has stuck ever since. We used linoleum glue and just applied it with a knife, as we laid each self sticking tile. It doesn't take but a VERY thin layer of glue.

I have laid the self stick tiles over linoleum before and had really good luck and it's much easier to do than laying one sheet unless you are a pro I'd think.

more than likely it wont. the vinyl underneath probably doesn't have a smooth texture. my husband lays floors for a living and he has to level the area out with floor patching (like a cement that you put on with a trial) that evens the area. If you don't do this, then every single ripple or dent will show through. It may look pretty rough. The best thing to do would be to take the underlying floor completly up. To get waht you can't get up by hand, you can get a tool at the harware store(H. Depot or lowes) that looks like a big razor blade on a long stick, like a rake or a broom.

In my husbands experience, the self stick vinyl has not been successful. I would check into other options before I started. If money is the problem, then you can look around at flooring stores that sell remnants off of bigger jobs that were unused and are the perfect size for bathrooms or small closets

We had linoleum in our kitchen that had a diamond shaped pattern on it. We put down the self stick tiles right over top of it. It looked good for a couple of months, then the pattern from the linoleum started to show through. I would take the linoleum up first if I were you.