Creative Storage Ideas

How about brainstorming on how to find more storage room? To start off, I hide stacks of magazines, books, or baskets of knitting, underneath floor-length tablecloths.

Nett of NH

Does anyone have any other creative storage ideas?

For out of the way storage, I too use floor length tablecloths over the 13 gallon round wastebaskets. I fill up the wastebasket with whatever, yarn, fabric, clothing, then put a round wooden cutout for the top, and put the tablecloth on top of all that and use them as nightstands in the extra bedroom. The wooden top holds a lamp, radio, pictures. I also use under the bed storage containers.

Purchase one of those big, plastic trash cans (with the lids that snap on)... the kind you use to store trash, outdoors... take the lid off and place a piece of round plywood (or wood) on top; place a sheet/table cloth over the wood piece... and there you have it: a VERY LARGE storage container AND a side table (Oh!..... and do NOT throw the lid, that came w/ the trash can, away. You can always store it away and use it, later! The kids can use it as a round snow sled!!!)!!! HS

My kitchen provides a few extra storage spaces: The space between my kitchen range and the counter is used for storing narrow items. Right now some of my carpentry tools are stashed there. I can also store my portable window screens there. The cabinets have an inset along the top that is about 2" deep. There extra kitchen linens are kept fresh in a plastic bag plus other flat items fit well.

Third, I decorate the tops of the cabinets with decorative tins. Those are used to store various food and sundry items. Lacking pantry space, I purchased two small bookshelves for the basement. These work very well for a pantry. Wooden apple crates from the grocery store have been painted white and hung on the basement walls to add shelf space for lightweight objects. A pegboard was mounted on the wall along the basement stairs to corral some basic tools and other items I use for home improve- ment projects. Look for narrow spaces behind furniture and appliances. Often a few inches are lurking there unused. Don't overlook space underneath steps. ~Charlotte

Fold extra blankets into decorative pillowcases and "store" on your couch or bed

1. Use screw-top, glass jars of various sizes for refrigerator storage. They're sanitary, do not stain, and you can tell at a glance how much of what remains to be used up!

2. Mount screw-in wooden knobs on a length of board, paint it, hang it with 2 or 3 large picture hooks to a wall at child height to encourage them to "store" bathrobes, towels, jackets and such up off the chairs and floor!

3. Mount a number of ordinary curtain rods one over the other and you'll have a place to hang a library of magazines (by their spines), folded towels, or tablecloths and bureau linens. Of course you can paint the rods to compliment the room's decor.

- Nett of NH

We live in a one-bedroom apartment with a fireplace we never use. You would be amazed at how much stuff you can keep in a fireplace.

Blankets, curtains and sweaters can be stored between your mattress and box springs. All these items are best if stored flat and pressed. They never get lost, are always available and are wrinkle free when needed.

I'm sure everyone knows what I'm talking about when I say that I have a bucket full of individual mittens!

Here's a use for all those pretty-coloured hand knitted solo mittens you just don't want to get rid of;

(*please note, some are actual good ideas, some are just for fun...)

1) pin three on the wall in front of a desk and use as neat pencil and pen holders

2) Use duct-tape and attach to radio antenna on your car as a nifty decoration / car identifyer (usefull in large parking lots)

3) donate to the local zoo for monkey socks. (j.k.)

4) if made of pure wool, and no polyester, use as recyclable coffee filter :p

5) attach to a stick and use as a fishnet

6) Silver-polishing mitt

7) add a string, makes a great marble-bag

8) Use to store scissors

9) attach to a head-band to make earmuffs

10) Stuff with polyester fiberfill to make a cute pincushion.

11) fill 5 with dry kidney beans or split peas, sew up the opening, cut out three holes in a cardboard box

(identify the holes with 1point, 5points and 10 points) Use as bean bag toss!

12) Use with turtle-wax to polish your car!

13) Put on the ends of your golf clubs to keep 'em shiny!

14) Put a sponge inside, bring to the beach in summer, use to toss back and forth while wet. Great fun!

15) cut off thumb, sew hole; use as Barbie sleeping-bag

16) Put on coffeetable, use as coasters

17) Slip a hot cup of coffee inside, use as coffee-sleeve

18) attach to a long L-shaped stick; use as "Swiffer" to clean tops of chandeliers, ceiling fans, top of hutch, cobwebs on ceiling

19) Use as a case to store reading-glasses so they don't get scratched.

20) Attach a string to the top of the mitten; can be used as a purse for a little girl! Lip gloss can be conveniently placed in thumb of mitten!

Hanging bath towels: There's no towels racks in our bathroom (just moved here) & I don't have not enough wall space for regular towel racks big enough for our bath towels to dry after we use them so I got another shower curtain rod and put it beside the rod that holds the shower curtain and placed it about a 1/2 inch from that one and we can keep our bath towels there to dry and be there within easy reach for us when we need them after showering. This works wonderful. :o)

get bedrisers and put them under desk, bookcase, table ....legs so it is raised and has extra space for you to put boxes underneath!!!!

I went to a store that sells tobacco products and asked if they had any cigar boxes. I painted and decorated the boxes and put velcro enclosures. They'd work fine the way they are with a rubber band to keep them closed. They are so nice to use for small craft items, beads, sewing supplies, and so on. They stack on a shelf to make the most of storage space and organize the items.

lable the boxes to find in a glance what item you are looking for. The best part is that they were free.

RE: garbage can lid. I used one for a cute little pond or bird bath in my flower garden. I put rocks around the edges. Also small animal figures that I pick up at garage sales.

Screws stored in a compartment tray.
Creative Storage Ideas
Organizing StorageApril 18, 2001
Rocks inside two mason jars.
Cheap Storage Solutions
Shelving composed of multisized cubes and rectangles.
Building Storage Shelves
Uses for Old Briefcases, Worn two strap leather briefcase.
Uses for Old Briefcases
A wardrobe for clothing.
Storage Ideas for a House With No Closets
🎉
🎄