Craftsman Riding Mower Won't Start

I have a Craftsman LT1000 and it will turn over, but never starts. It sounds like there is no compression. There is oil is in the cylinder. Could my piston rings be bad?

By jammer1 from Franklinville, NJ

Had old lawnmower that would not start. Went to Oreillys auto and purchased start my engine under $7 dollars. Poured half in, it started and runs fine. It was a back up mower attempted to start it for the last 3 years it's a Toro so I did not want to throw it away. Main lawnmower ran with a shake so poured the other half in it, mower runs smooth. Might not work for you, but is not expensive little work (do not have to remove old gas) and cheaper than paying someone to look at first. Good luck.

April 20, 2011 Flag

My Craftsman riding lawn mower won't start. It isn't getting a spark. I think it's the safety switches, but I don't know how to check them.

By gradster from Chesaning, MI

October 14, 2010 Flag

I have a Craftsman LT 2000 that won't start. It has fire. I got it from an old man that had work done on it before and they wired it directly. Now it won't start, any ideas?

By Harley from TX

Answers:

Craftsman Riding Mower Won't Start

Could have burned out a safety switch. This is why techs don't run jump wires to test your safety switches, you will need an ohm meter. If you get a reading of zero in the open position, replace the switch. If you don't know which is open or closed, measure from both sets of terminals, if you get two readings of zero, the switch is bad. Check your PTO, seat, and parking brake switches. (09/15/2010)

By revravyid

August 24, 2010 Flag

I have a Craftman riding mower. I was cutting and in the middle of that it just stopped. When I try to start it, it just makes a click noise. We tried to move it and the back wheels seem locked up and we can't push it. Does anyone have any idea what might be wrong? It's a newer model purchased in 07, but I don't have the model number with me.

By Mary

July 20, 2010 Flag

I have a Craftsman 18.5 hp riding mower, why does it barely start? The starter struggles to turn the motor. It will turn 1 or 2 times, then it's like it locks up, then it may take 3 - 4 tries, then will finally start.

I burnt out my starter last week with it getting hot and struggling to turn the motor. I just put a brand new starter on it thinking this was my main issue, but I still have same problem. Why is the middle of my motor locking up during start up? I just found it was about out of oil, I filled it up, but nothing is helping.

By Jay from Springdale, AR

March 22, 2010 Flag

I have a Craftsman riding mower. When I start it, it runs about 20 minutes and then shuts off. I try to restart it and it won't start. What do you think might be the problem?

By Cope from St. Petersburg, FL

Answers:

Craftsman Riding Mower Won't Start

Clean out the fuel filter, and change your spark plugs. (12/29/2009)

By notwrong

September 1, 2009 Flag

Why won't my Craftsman Riding lawnmower start? It keeps flooding. I already tried letting it sit and drying out the filters.

July 16, 2009 Flag

I need to know what to check to see why my Craftsman riding lawn mower won't run. We have checked the battery, the starter, and the plugs. It does have a little fire, but it will not turn over.

Craftsman Riding Mower
Craftsman Riding Mower Won't Start
Home and Garden Repair Machines Lawn MowersApril 20, 2011
Riding Mower
Repairing a MTD Riding Mower
removing riding mower wheel
Removing a Wheel from a Riding Mower
Man Fixing Mower
Mower Won't Start
Man tinkering with a riding mower.
Riding Lawn Mower Won't Start
🎉
🎄