Product FinderConsumer Advice

What is the Best Paint to Use for Repainting a Table?

I have a table and chairs that is this awful green paint with green tiles on top. I am not sure if it is worth it to sand and paint a new color or if painting over the green color will look pleasant. I am not sure if I should use spray paint or a brush. What would look the best with good coverage? I am using an ivory with brown tiles.

By Joshua from Spokane

You will definitely have to prime the table first. Use a good primer such as Zinser123. Just follow directions for using. Your paint job will last much longer if you do this. Then buy a good quality paint. I would not fool with oil paint. Although it holds up better, it is a mess to work with. I would use acrylic paint.

If it's a wood table you should prime it, if it's metal don't bother just spray paint it. With wood you should use a latex and a roller on any flat surfaces, a brush on rounded or hard to get areas. After the paint has dried and when the weather is not humid, put a coat of poly on it to protect any paint from chipping off. If you do the poly in humid weather it will never completely dry and you will have a sticky surface that paper etc. will stick to. Good luck.

Yes, Zinser 123 (Bins). My husband used it on an old cabinet to try it after reading wow reviews on it. He had to use a screwdriver to scratch it! Just don't let it drip on anything and use one of those chemical masks that make you look like an alien, or do it outside. It adheres to about anything, pre-sanding isn't necessary but read their prep instructions.

It lasts forever and whatever you apply on top will adhere beautifully. (So we have read) Using little rollers in tricky areas is best and also mix it really thoroughly.

God bless!

PS We love Behr for the walls, but not the gloss for furniture. Chips horribly.