Crispy Crunchy Corn Chips

contest winner icon
These are just as the title says - crispy and crunchy, and you can flavor them in many ways. The recipe specifies Parmesan cheese, which is very good, but you can use onion powder, Mrs. Dash, chili powder, cayenne, or whatever you like best. You can also add seasonings to the dry ingredients as you mix this up, but don't add the cheese into the dough.

• 1 cup yellow cornmeal
  • 1/2 cup flour
  • 1/4 tsp. baking soda
  • 1/2 tsp. salt
  • 3 Tbsp. oil
  • 1/3 cup milk
  • Parmesan cheese, to taste

Preheat oven to 350 degrees F.

Mix dry ingredients. Mix oil and milk, and gradually stir into the dry ingredients. Form into a ball. Put on a lightly floured surface and knead for 2 minutes. You may need to keep dusting flour onto your work surface and on top of the dough, but don't get it too stiff. It needs to be workable.

The instructions say to break marble size pieces of dough off and roll them out individually. I find this to be too time consuming and tedious. I break it up into quarters, and roll one piece out, paper thin, and then cut it into Frito size pieces. The key is to roll it out as thin as you can without tearing it.

Sprinkle lightly with Parmesan or other dry, grated cheese. Place on a baking sheet sprayed lightly with baking spray. Bake for 8 - 10 minutes until golden brown.

Remove to a rack to cool.

Servings: Depends on who's eating!
Prep Time: 10 Minutes
Cooking Time: 8 - 10 Minutes

Source: Sophie Leavitt's Penny Pincher's Cook Book

By Copasetic 1 from North Royalton, OH

Do you refrigerate it at all before you roll it out?

These corn chips will make a nice addition to our "Study Group's Snack Table". They love anything they can munch on while studying together, and I love having them around.

Thank you so much for sharing, Barb.

I've never tried anything like this before, but you sure make it sound easy enough. We go through bags of chips like they were thin air, and they are not cheap these days.

Thank you for the recipe and really good instructions.

I'm wondering if the dry Ranch Dip like you'd make Ranch Dressing with might work. I love that flavor, and buy the sour-cream flavored chips. These sound really good.

You get a thumbs up from us.

Hi, Elaine; I have never refrigerated it, but I bet it would be a good way to make the dough easily manageable. I'll have to give it a try.

Suziq9, I think the ranch mix would be delicious. I already shake it onto popcorn instead of salt and butter.

As always, Julia, your feedback is special, if you try this recipe, you will have to let me know how you like it. For a whole group, you might have to double or triple it.

Thank you, HokeyPoke!

Food and Recipes Recipes SnacksMay 23, 2011
Corn Chips in Vegan Nachos
Recipes Using Corn Chips
bowl of pita chips
Homemade Pita Chips Recipes
A stack of corn tortillas.
Homemade Corn Tortilla Recipes
Paint Chips
Crafts Using Paint Chips