Share a SolutionAsk a Question

Repairing Thermal Backing on Curtains

This is a guide about repairing thermal backing on curtains. Over time, the sun can destroy the thermal backing on curtains. Repairing the backing can extend the life of the curtains.

December 2, 2015 Flag

The white thermal backing on my curtains has been sun-damaged and resembles fine powder, possibly a breathing hazard. Since it's part of the curtain, is it possible to spray it with something or is that the end of the curtains? Perhaps I could make a lining once the powdery stuff has been set with something?

AnswerWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes

I think your thermal lined drapes are ready to be replaced. I owned several sets and would never buy again....the foam sticks to other parts and when you try to pull apart, pieces peel off....The fabric is probably not sun damaged, so if you cannot afford to replace, then my suggestion is to scrape off the backing and add plain fabric to the back. It's painstakingly slow work, but you get good results.

he white thermal backing on my curtains has been sun-damaged and resembles fine powder, possibly a breathing hazard. Since it's part of the curtain, is it possible to spray it with something or is that the end of the curtains? Perhaps I could make a lining once the powdery stuff has been set with something?

I had new black-out curtains made and after about a year they started to break down with a white dust coming off them ,they also looked like a coffee had been spilt on them.I also started with a terrible coughing.I am sure this has caused my continued coughing,Just wondering if any one has had a problem with the white fine dust coming from the curtains.I am sure this is a health Hazzard to peoples lungs.

April 2, 2011 Flag

I have washed thermal lined curtains and found powder in between the curtain and thermal lining material, as well as damage on the coating. I shouldn't have used the spin cycle, maybe. As I react to the dust, I don't want bring these curtains inside. Should I cut the lining off and replace it with other fabric? I want to know if the coating is safe for us, too. Please help me.

By mhoney from New Zealand

AnswerWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes

Thanks Kidsnclutter for your suggestion. A friend suggested similar, and I have actually managed to repair it quite well using bathroom silicone. The surface, however, was shinier than the surrounding areas, so I dusted the wet silicone with talcum powder. Not a bad job if I say so myself.

How old are the curtains? I have had that type of curtain and used them for at least 20 years and never had that problem. They were white and never had to be washed very often. Occasionally I would take them down and put one panel at a time in the dryer with a damp washcloth and a fabric softener sheet. I would only leave them in the dryer just a few minutes, maybe no more than 10 minutes.

Thank you for the feedback, redhatterb. I just bought these curtain through Trade me, but they were so smelly with mildew or mold and I decided to wash them with gentle machine wash.

Yesterday, I decided to remove the back lining material from the curtain and will make removable lining by using sheets (that's from the member's idea). In that way, I can wash without worry.

complete removal of rubber backing on all of curtain. tried peeling it off but must be able to buy a product to loosen the rubber backing

January 2, 2008 Flag

Recently I had some acrylic (rubber) backed curtains dry-cleaned and the backing broke down so that light shines through in various patches. Is there anyway they can be rescued? A separate backing was attached at a cost, but the light still shines through.

Pat from Brisbane

Answers:

Just a thought... What if you put a dollop of rubber cement (packaged in jar with a brush) on the back of the curtain where the light shines through, it's similar to the rubber backing. It might work. But you've already paid to have a second (fabric?) backing added so it gets a little tricky now, you don't want to ruin that also.

By kidsNclutter

CommentWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes

April 2, 2011 Flag

I have thermal backed curtains which have been damaged by washing. Can the thermal backing be repaired, hopefully with a spray-on or brush-on product?

Julie from Qld, Australia

Answers:

Repairing Thermal Backing on Curtains

Thanks Kidsnclutter for your suggestion. A friend suggested similar, and I have actually managed to repair it quite well using bathroom silicone. The surface, however, was shinier than the surrounding areas, so I dusted the wet silicone with talcum powder. Not a bad job if I say so myself. (01/02/2008)

By mums198

CommentWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes
Home and Garden Repair OtherDecember 14, 2015
Hanging Curtains With Pleat Hooks
Hanging Curtains
Measuring Windows for New Curtains, Gold colored curtains and white sheers hanging on a wondow.
Measuring Windows for New Curtains
Starching Curtains
Starching Curtains
Frugal Quilt Backing Ideas
Frugal Quilt Backing Ideas
👒
🐰
You are viewing the desktop version of this page: View Mobile Site.
© 1997-2017 by Cumuli, Inc. All Rights Reserved. Published by . Page generated on March 23, 2017 at 1:18:53 PM on 10.0.2.138 in 2 seconds. Use of this web site constitutes acceptance of ThriftyFun's Disclaimer and Privacy Policy. If you have any problems or suggestions feel free to Contact Us.