Remedies for Restless Leg Syndrome

Does anyone have a home remedy for Restless Legs Syndrome? I have a prescription, but tend to build up a resistance to them and need to take a break from them. Unfortunately, there's no sleeping without them. I need help!

By Cricketnc from Parkton, NC

I use the over the counter herb, valerian, and put a bar of soap under the covers at my feet. It sounds crazy but the bar of soap really works wonders for me. I just use the valerian to help me sleep after I learned of the soap trick. Good luck.

I'm in Nevada, and in our local newspaper, there is a column by a Dr. Gott, and he as well as many of his readers highly recommend the soap method.

Pat T in Nevada

Unwrap the soap, cheap ones work just as well as the expensive ones. Place it under the bottom sheet near the edge of the mattress. I use one soap bar on each side of the bed,near my legs. And I put about 1/8TH of a bar near my shoulder. It also helped with that pain.

It also helps keep the soap from "traveling" if you put it in a sock( good use of an orphan sock) before putting it under the sheet.GG Vi

It might help to know what is causing or exacerbating your RLS. I found this about 'causes' and it might give you insight based on knowledge your own body.

What causes restless legs syndrome:

In most cases, the cause of RLS is unknown. A family history of the condition is seen in approximately 50 percent of such cases, suggesting a genetic form of the disorder. People with familial RLS tend to be younger when symptoms start and have a slower progression of the condition.

People with low iron levels or anemia may be prone to developing RLS. Once iron levels or anemia is corrected, patients may see a reduction in symptoms.

Chronic diseases such as kidney failure, diabetes, Parkinson's disease, and peripheral neuropathy are associated with RLS. Treating the underlying condition often provides relief from RLS symptoms.

Certain medications-such as antinausea drugs (prochlorperazine or metoclopramide), antiseizure drugs (phenytoin or droperidol), antipsychotic drugs (haloperidol or phenothiazine derivatives), and some cold and allergy medications-may aggravate symptoms. Patients can talk with their physicians about the possibility of changing medications.

Researchers also have found that caffeine, alcohol, and tobacco may aggravate or trigger symptoms in patients who are predisposed to develop RLS. Some studies have shown that a reduction or complete elimination of such substances may relieve symptoms.

I also have RLS but I treat it almost every night. I get low on potasium and I have to eat a lot of bananas. If I don't have any bananas I drink Tonic water with a little juice(to mask the bitter taste) just before I go to bed. The quinine in the tonic water will ease the RLS. I know I can not do without both or at least one of them. It was a God send to find out about the quinine in Tonic water. I was talking to friends one day and was informed that it would work. Tried it and works for me. Hope it works for you.

If you google (Dr. Gott restless leg syndrome) an article comes up that suggests hawthorne berry extract to help stop the sypmtoms. Good luck.

I was talking to some folks online about leg and feet problems that the Rebuilder machine has a reputation of helping... A woman's whose husband was severely disabled with restless leg syndrome for several years and could barely walk, she bought one (Model #300) for him to try. She told me in three days he was up and walking and in a week he was out working in the yard. Two weeks later he and his son when on a trip together. She said he was like a new man! I own the #2407, it is A/C and battery, the #300 is battery only.

Jim in Jax

When I discovered that my RLS came from certain foods which turned out to be a "blood allergy" I cut those things( coffee(especially instant), corn, all peppers, everything that had these thing in it) out of my diet, and never had the problem again in 35 years!

Remember though, that there are "Expresso Dark Chocolate" bars, Corn:Oil, margarine, starch, sweeteners, fresh corn, corn meal, corn flour, corn flake cereals, Canned corn which can cause the problem, as well as hemorrhoids, which I also had mostly from the combination of corn/peppers.

Pepper comes in black, white, green/red/yellow/ orange, pepper corns, canned and fresh to grind, so it's not quite that easy to rid one's self of it, but I finally did, now using only a tiny amt.

However, years after eliminating these things from my diet, I also suspect that it's as much the pesticides in those items as not. So, now I'm slowly reintroducing organic versions, one item at a time.

Nowadays the food has less nutrients than ever, and the govt. is adding Mercury to High Fructose Corn Sweetener, according to, which is in most evrything that's the least bit sweet! Learn to read labels.

Suspect the peppers first, corn next, ( or a combination of them both, as in Mexican Foods, or spicy things), caffeine last, or any combination of these, as well as any other thing you may know causes allergic reactions that you eat.

Choose to eat more blandly, not so spicy, greasy, peppery, and see if you don't notice a significant improvement. Also keep in mind that some cough syrups/ "maple syrups" use dextrose (corn sugar) base, so check meds as well, ask your pharmacist for what is the base of each of your RX meds, mostly it's corn starch. Ask if there is any wi/o the corn starch base.

Few environmental allergens cause RLS, so I'd pay close attention to what you are drinking/ eating, and to the ingredients list of all things you buy to consume, with the idea in mind that Mercury is a toxic metal! I don't know WHY the gov. is doing this, but it isn't good!

Try to consume organic fruits, veggies, drinks, and reprogram your mind and refine your habits. It can

be done, I'm living proof. Keep in mind that you may not be allergic to a tiny amt. of these or other items, but may be allergic after consuming to your tolerance level, which you must determine. I was so allergic, that I had to eliminate it all for many years. Good luck and God bless you if yours is allergies. : )

I use the soap also. It works great usually. I also found an OTC medication called Restfull Legs. I disolve one under my tongue and have a good nights sleep.

My script is for 1 tablet at bedtime. On my own I decided to take 1/2 in a.m. 1/2 at bedtime, it works much better.

I use a bar of lavender soap. Lavender soap under the sheet was suggested by Dr Oz on a recent program. I roughen the surface of the bar and then rub the bar on the sole of each foot. I then leave the bar under the sheet during the night. I have found that it works well.

We have restless leg syndrome in our family; my brother, sister and I all suffer from it. I get it the most and hardly get any sleep at all. I'm always up and thrashing about at night and my husband gets really annoyed.

My feet are always so hot too.

My husband did some research and brought me a ReBuilder device which has completely cured me restless leg syndrome and I used it a lot less than they say!

After only a few weeks I got the best night's sleep and now have no problems at all.

My husband brought me the ReBuilder Medical Treatment model: 2407 but the cheaper 300 model would probably work just as well.

I'm attaching a picture I found so you know which model I got.

Here's the website if you find it helpful: http://www.rebuildermedicaltreatmen ... er-medical_rebuilder-model-2407.html

P.S. I also make sure I drink at least 2-2.5 litres of spring water every day, this also helps with restless leg syndrome immensely.

woman trying to sleep
Home Remedies for Restless Leg Syndrome
Health & Beauty Home RemediesMay 18, 2009
Restless Dog
Tips for Restless Pets
Woman with a Leg Cast
Underwear to Wear with a Leg Cast
Preventing Leg Ulcers
Preventing Leg Ulcers
Woman with a leg cramp.
Remedies for Leg Cramps