Share Crafts

Cooking Hard Boiled Eggs

Hardboiled Eggs

Cooking hard boiled eggs is easy, but if you haven't done it before it can be difficult to know what steps to take to get a perfectly smooth thouroughly cooked egg. This is a guide about cooking hard boiled eggs.

Solutions: Cooking Hard Boiled Eggs

Read and rate the best solutions below by giving them a "thumbs up".

Tip: Hard Boiled Egg Test

To test if an egg is hard boiled or still has a way to go in the pot, try this: Remove from hot water and lay gently on it's side on the counter top. Spin it; if it spins nicely it is boiled. If it looks like it's wobbling and shoots off to one direction, it is still raw. I use this method when I forget to set my timer!

By attosa from Los Angeles, CA

Tip: Making Hard Boiled Eggs

First, put eggs in a pan and fill with enough cold water to cover eggs completely, then bring water to a rapid boil. As soon as the water reaches a rapid boil, remove pan from heat and cover pan tightly with a lid. The length of time it takes to hard boil an egg depends on the size and type of the egg. Let sit 12 minutes for regular-sized eggs, 17 minutes for large eggs and 20 minutes for jumbo eggs.

Transfer eggs immediately to cold water (I add ice cubes to water) and let cool at least 10 minutes. This causes a layer of steam to develop between the shell and the egg white, which makes peeling the egg much easier. Store in the refrigerator.

By mcw [80]

Tip: Boiled Eggs and Baking Soda

When you put the water in the pot to boil eggs add 1 tsp of baking soda to the water. This will help after the eggs come out, and they will be much easier to peel.

By Robyn [369]

Tip: Cook Hard Boiled Eggs in the Rice Cooker

Cooking hard boiled eggs in a rice cooker.If you are cooking rice in a rice cooker you can also cook hard boiled eggs at the same time. After washing the rice and adding the proper amount of water, place a couple eggs in the cooker so that the water covers the eggs. The eggs will be hard-boiled by the time the rice is done.

There will be a bit of cooked rice stuck on the outside, so pick off any big chunks. If you are going to eat them with your rice or use in a side dish, peel them. If you are going to save them for later, wash the outside and stick them in the fridge.

By Stella from Manchester, WA

Tip: Preventing Hard Boiled Eggs from Cracking

To stop a hard boiled egg from cracking, plunge it in cold water for 7 to 8 minutes.

By jessie.ofarrell1 [4]

Tip: Save Power When Boiling Eggs

Save electricity bills when boiling eggs by putting the eggs in cold water, bring to the boil, then immediately turn off the heat and leave the eggs in the hot water for the length of time you like. They go on cooking.

By Lucy L. from England

Tip: Removing Eggs from Boiling Water

I have a plastic, long-handled pasta scoop with a hole in the bottom of its bowl and serrated edge. After eggs are boiled, use the scoop to remove them from the pot, eliminating risk of burn because of scalding water, or dropped eggs. For those of you who color Easter eggs, it is a "must."

Source: No; my own discovery.

By cayc [1]

Tip: Quick Oven Hard Boiled Eggs

Put your eggs in a muffin tin put into oven at 325 degrees F for 25-30 minutes. They are easier to peel and taste great.

By lbairdleeb [1]

Tip: Perfect Hard Boiled Eggs

When boiling eggs: after they come to a boil, turn the burner off and put a lid on the pot. Let them sit for around 30 minutes. They will then be done.

Source: From my local electric company many years ago.

By Rosemary from Tipp City, OH

Tip: Making "Hard Boiled" Eggs in the Oven

I just tried this for the first time and it works great. To make the best and easiest hard "boiled" eggs; preheat oven to 325 degrees F. I used a muffin tin to make it easier to remove eggs when done, but you can put them directly on the oven rack. Cook eggs for 30 minutes then immediately put them in very cold water. I cracked mine while they were cooling in the water and they were so easy to peel. My eggs came out perfect.

By Jill N. [7]

Tip: Tips for Boiled Eggs

When you boil eggs, add a little salt or vinegar to the water, bring it to a boil, boil for one minute and remove from heat and cover. Let it stand until cool enough to handle eggs. The salt or vinegar will keep a cracked egg from seeping out of the shell all over the pan.

When they are cool crack the shells and hold them under running cold water while you shell them. Start with the large end of the egg. Usually there is an air pocket on that end that makes it easier to start removing the shell. The running water helps to release the shell, so that you have pretty eggs for deviled eggs.

Here is another boiled egg hint. When you boil eggs that you are not going to use immediately, put a couple drops of food coloring in the water. Alert everyone that the colored eggs are boiled.

By Harlean from AR

Marking Hard Boiled Eggs

Marking Hard Boiled EggsThis is a guide about marking hard boiled eggs. If you are storing hard boiled eggs in the same carton as your raw ones, marking will remove the confusion and prevent an accidental mess in the kitchen.

Recipe: Never Fail Hard Boiled Eggs

1. Take cold eggs from fridge and set carefully into a small pan with tightly fitting lid.
              2. Cover eggs with COLD water (just to the very top of the eggs)
              3. Set tight fitting lid on pan
              4. Bring water JUST to a full boil (do NOT continue to boil!)
              5. Take pan with eggs off of burner (Keep lid tightly ON pan or heat will escape!)
              6. Leave eggs in boiling hot water for 20 minutes (at most 25), if longer yolks will turn green
              7. Then pour off hot water and run water over eggs until the water in pan is cold
              8. Let eggs sit in cold water for about 10 or more minutes until they cool down
              9. Put eggs directly into fridge or eat
              There are 5 SECRETS to perfect hard boiled eggs every time:
              • Start with cold water (so shells don't crack)
              • Take them off of water as soon as the water boils!
              • Do NOT take lid off of eggs until they are cooked (do not peek!)
              • Don't leave them in the hot water for more than 25 minutes
              • Cool eggs down quickly (if you do this shells will peel off easier)
              Source: My mother taught me this. Before that, my eggs were always a yucky green color and either over-cooked or under-cooked!

By Cyinda from near Seattle

Tip: Old Fashioned Hard Boiled Eggs

I just want to say something about this "newfangled" idea of cooking eggs. All the sites, papers, etc. now claim that you are to bring the eggs to a boil in the water and turn them off and let stand for 15 to 17 minutes. You know ladies, I have been boiling eggs for 43 years. So I tried this way, several times. I ended up with eggs that are not done. When I was 19, I learned to hardboil eggs by boiling them for 10 minutes, at least, at a full boil. My eggs were fine and I never had underdone eggs for years and years. So now, I try to keep up with the times, and I end up with 4 dozen undercooked eggs! And, no I did not cook them all together. I will go back to my regular cooking method which has always worked for me. Thank you for letting me sound off!

By Bonnie from Martinsburg

Editor's Note: Thanks for posting this! It's always nice to know what works and what doesn't work for people. I checked a few of my cookbooks and didn't see any instructions for cooking eggs in this "new-fangled" way. They were in agreement to start the eggs in cold water and bring to a boil. Then you can either continue boiling for 8-10 minutes or reduce the heat to a simmer (still steaming) for 10-15 minutes. Has anyone else had any experience with the "right" way to hard cook eggs?

Tip: Boiling Eggs and the Famous Anti-Cracker

Here are some tips for boiling eggs in an energy saving manner.

Take the eggs out of the fridge and let them warm up to room temperature. Put the eggs into a pot or sauce pan full of water, preferably not ice cold water. Bring the pot to a rolling boil, then turn the burner off and cover the pot with a towel or tea-cozy. If you need the burner space, put the pot onto a folded towel. 5-6 minutes later the eggs are as boiled as if you had wasted electricity all that time.

To prevent eggs from cracking, make an Anti-Cracker. (I invented this one about 30 years ago.)

Anti-Cracker Instructions

Get an egg holder like they use in hotels for soft boiled eggs. In plain plastic they are usually 49 cents for half a dozen.

Get the shortest sheet metal screw that you can find.

Poke a pilot hole into the bottom of the egg cup, and run the screw up from below. If it sticks more than a millimeter (a bit less than 1/8 inch) up into the cup, use some washers or shorten the screw with a side cutter or hacksaw.

That's all for the fancy crafty work.

Before boiling eggs, press them into the egg holder so that the screw punctures the tip. Don't worry about it leaking. The skin on the inside will not be penetrated, just the shell.

For fast and easy peeling, crack the eggs. This trick takes some practising and is not recommended for people who have trouble walking and talking at the same time.

Lay an egg flat onto the counter and put your finger tips on it.

Put just enough pressure onto the egg to hear the shell crack.

Push your hand forward so that you roll the egg. You have to gradually decrease the pressure otherwise you will make a mess. By the time the egg is under your palm, your touch should be feather light. Then cup your fingers gently around the egg and drop it into the water. This is not just a party trick for show-offs. It cuts the peeling time to 1/4, and if you have to boil 5 dozen for a potato salad for a barbecue or wedding, you will really appreciate having learned that skill.

Have FUN!

By DearWebby

Give a "thumbs up" to the solution that worked the best! Do you have a better solution? Click here to share it!

Here are questions related to Cooking Hard Boiled Eggs.

Question: Boiling Eggs in an Electric Skillet

Can an egg be boiled in an electric skillet?

By Amie from Visalia, CA

Most Recent Answer

By Amie [1]03/19/2010

Deeli, I wanted to let you know how the biscuits turned out in the electric skillet! They were awesome! My next project is trying to make a cake in the electric skillet, I've found a few recipes for it. They are pretty much the same so, I'll let you know once I've tried it and let you know how it turns out. I also found a recipe for making brownies in the crockpot, I'm also going to try that one soon.

As for the recipes that I had ask you for, any kind of Mexican food, Italian, one thing I would love to know if you've tried making in the electric skillet is homemade Mac & Cheese? Any kind of casseroles would be a great a help. Thanks again for all the information that you have provide me with. I am very grateful and appreciated it so much. Take care and have a great weekend. Amie

Thrifty Fun has been around so long that many of our pages have been reset several times. Archives are older versions of the page and the feedback that was provided then.

Archive: Cook Hard Boiled Eggs in the Rice Cooker

Hard boil eggs at the same time you are cooking rice! Prepare rice in rice cooker as usual, then wash the outside of your eggs (I wouldn't do more than 3 in a 3 cup batch of rice). Then lay the eggs on their sides in the middle of the rice in the cooker. Start the rice cooker, when the rice is done so is the hard boiled egg. Then you can use the egg for your meal or stick in the fridge for later use.

By Stella from Manchester, WA

RE: Cook Hard Boiled Eggs in the Rice Cooker

Hello everyone, when I make hard boiled eggs I use an egg cooker. You put your 7 or 8 eggs in there which ever your cooker will take and put your measured water in it and turn it on and forget about it until the buzzer rings and put them in cold water and the shells come off just as easy as can be. I wouldn't use anything but. Mary (10/21/2009)

By satinroses