Removing Smoke Smell From Wood Table

I recently received a solid wood dining room table that has survived a house fire. Any ideas on how to get the smoke smell out?

Denia from Pensacola, FL

Showing: Answers Sort: Relevance

I'm betting you're going to get advice about using vinegar...seems to show up a lot on here! I would wipe it down really good with vinegar and dry it well with a towel and then leave it out in the sun for awhile but not long enough to fade it and certainly not in the rain or at night.

I learned from a fire reclaimation company that an ionic air cleaner is what they use for fabrics holding the smokey smell. They put it in a sealed room with the smokey clothes until the air smells lightning fresh and there is no longer a smokey smell. I can't imagine that it wouldn't work for wood.

I found this question when I searched the site. Take a look at:

http://www.thriftyfun.com/tf554040.tip.html

I would drench it with Pledge spray polish, leave it on, and after a half hour wipe it off. That means drenching every surface, underneath and all. The smell is the tar (not the nicotine, a common myth) and the wax will help lift the tar.

Thank you everyone for you suggestions. I appreciate them all.

you cannot leave the pledge on the wood for more than a minute or two. if the table is solid wood and does not have a veniere finish, it will leave white spots. If it has survived in a fire, it is likely that some of the urethane has come off of it and the oil from the pledge can damage the unfinished wood, making it extremely hard to put more urethane or finish on it. If the vinegar does not take away the smell by just wiping it down a few times, the best thing to do is to kilz and paint it or sand and refinish it. My husband sands and refinishes hardwood floors for a living and has fixed damaged floors from housefires many times. this is what he said to recommend. I also refinish furniture and resell it for a small income so I can stay at home with the kids. If you have any trouble, feel free to ask. I'll be glad to help. elizabeth_t_hayes AT yahoo.com

Add your voice! Click below to comment on this post or add your answer to this question. ThriftyFun is powered by your wisdom.

Home and Garden Cleaning OdorsMarch 18, 2008
Cigarette Left Burning in Ashtray
Removing Cigarette Smoke Odor from Leather
cigarette smell computer
Removing Cigarette Smoke Odors from a Computer
Cleaning up Mildew From Wood
Removing Mildew from Wood
Men's leather winter boots.
Removing Smoke Odor from Leather Boots
© 1997-2016 by Cumuli, Inc. All Rights Reserved. Published by . Page generated on June 20, 2016 at 4:51:43 PM on 10.0.1.224 in 948 msecs. Use of this web site constitutes acceptance of ThriftyFun's Disclaimer and Privacy Policy. If you have any problems or suggestions feel free to Contact Us.