Share Crafts
Ask
Share
Newsletter
Account
About

Removing Smoke Smell From Wood Table

0EmailPrintFollowSave

I recently received a solid wood dining room table that has survived a house fire. Any ideas on how to get the smoke smell out?

Denia from Pensacola, FL

By

Recent AnswersAnswer this Question

By Judi 18 938 03/18/2008 Flag

I'm betting you're going to get advice about using vinegar...seems to show up a lot on here! I would wipe it down really good with vinegar and dry it well with a towel and then leave it out in the sun for awhile but not long enough to fade it and certainly not in the rain or at night.

ReplyWas this helpful? Yes

By lindajean (Guest Post) 03/19/2008 Flag

I learned from a fire reclaimation company that an ionic air cleaner is what they use for fabrics holding the smokey smell. They put it in a sealed room with the smokey clothes until the air smells lightning fresh and there is no longer a smokey smell. I can't imagine that it wouldn't work for wood.

ReplyWas this helpful? Yes

By Jean (Guest Post) 03/19/2008 Flag

I found this question when I searched the site. Take a look at:

http://www.thriftyfun.com/tf554040.tip.html

ReplyWas this helpful? Yes

By Kim Churchman 3 1,277 03/19/2008 Flag

I would drench it with Pledge spray polish, leave it on, and after a half hour wipe it off. That means drenching every surface, underneath and all. The smell is the tar (not the nicotine, a common myth) and the wax will help lift the tar.

ReplyWas this helpful? Yes

By Denia (Guest Post) 03/19/2008 Flag

Thank you everyone for you suggestions. I appreciate them all.

ReplyWas this helpful? Yes

By elizabeth. (Guest Post) 03/20/2008 Flag

you cannot leave the pledge on the wood for more than a minute or two. if the table is solid wood and does not have a veniere finish, it will leave white spots. If it has survived in a fire, it is likely that some of the urethane has come off of it and the oil from the pledge can damage the unfinished wood, making it extremely hard to put more urethane or finish on it. If the vinegar does not take away the smell by just wiping it down a few times, the best thing to do is to kilz and paint it or sand and refinish it. My husband sands and refinishes hardwood floors for a living and has fixed damaged floors from housefires many times. this is what he said to recommend. I also refinish furniture and resell it for a small income so I can stay at home with the kids. If you have any trouble, feel free to ask. I'll be glad to help. elizabeth_t_hayes AT yahoo.com

ReplyWas this helpful? Yes