Elegant Jello Dessert

This is a very simple but classy desert. Would be great after a candlelit dinner. The ingredients are for 2, 4, 6, depends how you build it.

• 1 one package red or black cherry Jello
  • 1 half gallon vanilla ice cream
  • tall wine glasses, one per guest

Prepare Jello early in the day, or the night before, so it will have time to set up. At least a few hours, or can be done several hours before desert is to be served, layer the ice cream and Jello, in the wine glasses. And pop into the freezer and let it rest. This will set the layers and refreeze the ice cream. Just before serving put a dollop of cool whip, or whipped cream on top, add a cherry, and serve.

Source: I learned how to make it when I was just a little kid, my beloved mother, made it for desert after special dinner for close friends. I have never in 61 years, found anyone who ever even heard of it. So it has always been her specialty, I think of her every day, but when I make it for fancy dinners, I can hear mother telling me to be careful that I don't break any wine glasses. She has been gone for almost 9 years, but I miss her more than words can describe.

By Rustie Rock from Clearwater, Florida

My mother made this dessert during the holiday meals and my kids (now adults) still ask me to make "Granny's jello dessert". I make this using strawberry/banana jello. Tip: do not use sugar-free jello. It comes out too thin.

Kim Fryer, Orlando, FL

Thank you for sharing the great recipe! I plan to try it soon. You are so blessed to have such great memories of a loving relationship with your mother.

Hi Rustie.

Thanks for the recipe. I will have to try that out on the grandkids.

My Mom died in 2000 and I still miss our telephone conversations and that unconditional love she heaped on me. My heart goes out to you Rustie.

This sounds so good and sooooo simple, but....... I might be just looking at this too complicated. Do you make the jello, pour it into the wine glass, let it set up, then layer it with melted ice cream, then let that set and continue to layer????? Okay, I am a novice needing extra help.

Just to clear up confusion, as how hard it is to make. I just make the jello from directions on the box, but don't add all the water, less water toughens the jello just enough for it to be firm when the ice cream goes on. Don't have a box handy at the time, but it is so simple my girls at a very young age made their own jello. Just add hot water I think. Pour it into a bowl with the dry jello, and blend well, till it is all mixed or leave it in the one used to make it. Since nothing else goes in to it yet. Chill till set up firm. When it is put with the ice cream it can be frozen for several days if needed. Line up the empty wine glasses, using a tea spoon put jello on the bottom of the glasss for the first layer. Next a layer of Ice cream next another layer of Ice cream. If this sounds too complicated, just put jello in a desert bowl, and put vanilla Ice cream on top. The fancy layerers in wine glasses, is just for eye candy. It works just as well, in a bowl. One serving spoon of each. Not necessary to re freeze if served after dinner. You could also put the liquid jello in little bowls and put in fridge till set, and just scoop a spoon of the Ice cream as you give it the guest or family. I like to stir mine all together before eating Yum Yum, think I will make some for dinner...

Food and Recipes Recipes Baking & Desserts Desserts JelloJanuary 11, 2008
Photo of homemade orange jello.
Homemade Jello (Gelatin) Recipes
Jello Beach Dessert
Jello Beach Dessert
Layered Jello
Making Ribbon and Layered Jello
Making a Jello Fish Bowl
Making a Jello Fish Bowl