Caring For Hibiscus

Q: I have a question about hibiscus, I want to know how to care for it. I live in Delaware. it is beautiful, I want it to stay that way year after year. Any advice would be appreciated.

Alma from Delaware

A: Alma,

With proper care, you can see blooms from spring to fall for 20 years or more! Here are some general tips for caring for your hibiscus:

During the winter months, your hibiscus needs a rest period. Keep it indoors at a temperature of 55°F-65°F. Place it in a location where it has access to some direct sunlight, but don't fertilize again until spring and water only enough to keep it from drying out.

Prune the branches in the spring to within 6-7 inches of the base. Hibiscuses don't like to be root bound so repot yours if necessary. You can resume fertilizing it at this time (follow manufacturer's directions) and move it to a sunny location outside. You can either transplant it to a bed, or leave it right in the pot (more convenient). Try to keep the plant moist at all times during the active season and mist the leaves occasionally to create humidity.

About The Author: Ellen Brown is our Green Living and Gardening Expert. Click here to ask Ellen a question! Ellen Brown is an environmental writer and photographer and the owner of Sustainable Media, an environmental media company that specializes in helping businesses and organizations promote eco-friendly products and services. Contact her on the web at http://www.sustainable-media.com

Go to http://www.GardenGuides.com and get on the forums and "talk" with some of those knowledgeable people. They are great for gardening information. Don't forget to look at their backyard garden pictures also. Beautiful!

I bought a Hibiscus plant this summer and potted it in a large container. Will it be okay to leave it outdoors during the winter months or will I have to drag this large pot into my garage and cover it with a tarp or something. Bring ing it indoors for the winter is out of the question.

Patricia

We bought a house over the winter and the backyard has six hibiscus plants that look like

dead shrubs...is there any hope that they are in

some kind of winter state, or are they probably gone for good. We are in Arkansas and have had a pretty mild winter, but there have been freezing temps. Will I be digging up and replanting, or is there any hope at all?

Thanks

I repotted two beautiful hibicus plants that had deep shiny green leaves all winter while indoors. I moved them outside and left on a business trip. We had a horrible week of rain. Now, all of the leaves turned yellow and fell off. Did I kill the plants? OR will they return? Help!

Home and Garden Gardening FlowersAugust 25, 2005
Growing Hibiscus
Growing Hibiscus Plants
Transplanting a Hibiscus
Transplanting a Hibiscus
Starting a Hibiscus from a Cutting
Starting a Hibiscus from a Cutting
Hibiscus Flower
Getting Hibiscus Flowers to Bloom
🎄
🍂